Haying Equipment

/ Haying Equipment #31  
That's some machine... Any reason why it couldn't be made entirely from metal?
When the hay is stored loose does it need to be off the ground? We live in a very sandy area and the hay area of our barn is very, very dry sand.
Also, if it's not going to be baled, does it have to dry in the field before storing?

/ Haying Equipment #32  
Yes it must, note must be dried before storing in the barn. Damp stored hay is susceptible to spontaneous combustion. Many barns have been lost this way.

In a time far past haystacks sat on the ground.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Haying Equipment #33  
Yes it must, note must be dried before storing in the barn. Damp stored hay is susceptible to spontaneous combustion. Many barns have been lost this way.

In a time far past haystacks sat on the ground.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Haying Equipment #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's some machine... Any reason why it couldn't be made entirely from metal?
When the hay is stored loose does it need to be off the ground? We live in a very sandy area and the hay area of our barn is very, very dry sand.
Also, if it's not going to be baled, does it have to dry in the field before storing?

)</font>

The hay will also grow moldy very quickly if put in the barn wet. And will be more succeptable to heating.

Any type of hay can cause a barn fire if baled and stored incorrectly.

One trick when checking the core temperature of a bale is to put a tomatoe stick right through the middle and leave it. When you can pull the stick out and it's not hot to the touch, your bale is ready for storage.

You may want to look into loose hay or even haylage, but I wouldn't reccomend this for horses as you don't get consistant quality, etc... which is very important to horses. Cows are a different story.

That said, hay was stored this way for years and worked fine, it's just a higher risk.

/ Haying Equipment #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That's some machine... Any reason why it couldn't be made entirely from metal?

)</font>

The hay will also grow moldy very quickly if put in the barn wet. And will be more succeptable to heating.

Any type of hay can cause a barn fire if baled and stored incorrectly.

One trick when checking the core temperature of a bale is to put a tomatoe stick right through the middle and leave it. When you can pull the stick out and it's not hot to the touch, your bale is ready for storage.

You may want to look into loose hay or even haylage, but I wouldn't reccomend this for horses as you don't get consistant quality, etc... which is very important to horses. Cows are a different story.

That said, hay was stored this way for years and worked fine, it's just a higher risk.

/ Haying Equipment #36  
Shows what I know; I always thought it was the tightly rolled bales that were a fire threat while drying.

/ Haying Equipment #37  
Shows what I know; I always thought it was the tightly rolled bales that were a fire threat while drying.

/ Haying Equipment #38  
   / Haying Equipment #39  
   / Haying Equipment #40  
That is an excellent link. Thanks for posting it.