Haying small fields with a small tractor

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #61  
I have always heard that the pounding of a baler will take the PTO out of a compact tractor like my 1710 - obviously it depends on how much it is used and how hard you push it. The rule I have heard is that you need an older true farm type tractor, i.e. heavier frame row crop type tractor to have a PTO that could take the pounding of the baler. Is this not true?

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #62  
Maybe, but most likely not. Square bailers all have flywheels to dampen and impulses the bailer makes. Been my experience with the 2 I owned that there is little to no shock to the driveline to get back to the PTO. The only 'shock' is from the plunger moving back and forth and that will toss a small tractor around but it don't impact the driveline at all.

Last one I owned and sold 2 years ago would toss my M9's when swinging around to begin another windrow.

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #63  
Its been a while so I thought I would update. I switched form the sickle mower to a PZ170 drum mower. Cuts better in the wind and does some conditioning. It does take longer as it is not as wide. I also now have a Kabota rotary rake - what an upgrade from the side roller. However I am now done with horses, so this is probably my last hay year and I will just flail the pastures or let someone else cut it. I am getting old and the fun is mostly gone.

So tips to look into . Depending on your state set up a personal LLC. In CO its easy (25$) I think with $10 year renewal. Then file a SCH F federal tax form and deprecate all of your equipment. You also get to deduct you fuel, parts, repairs, chemicals, fertilizer, seeds, etc. I used H&R tax software to set it up with a bit of help from thier help line. Once doe it easy as the tax software tracks things from year to year. You will find it is a huge help come tax time with the deductions. Basically I save enough in taxes to pay for the equipment the year I bought it. This is all above board and legal - Only once did I have to send the Feds/State additional information (receipts for major tractor repairs) I guess they the call that a mail audit. Once sent everything was fine . I only did between 250 and 500 bales (weed free custom grass horse hay) a year too, sometimes less. The year I got the question was a drought year where I maybe sold 50 bales, but the tractor needed a new fuel injection rack - ending with a huge farm loss on the tax form.

BTW - having an LLC limits (protects) your personal other property in case something goes wrong - at least in CO Be sure to consult with a legal person on this depending on where you live

Something to look into depending on your situation.
Bingo...great post. I've experienced similar to what you describe, here in Missouri. Made the decision to buy a new tractor last week...it just makes sense given my age, the need to hay for people in the area, and my lack of patience for relying on others to hay for me. Not to mention the need for doing work here on the farm that requires a tractor.

The LLC/tax deduction/depreciation route is a good one, at least here.

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #64  
I have always heard that the pounding of a baler will take the PTO out of a compact tractor like my 1710 - obviously it depends on how much it is used and how hard you push it. The rule I have heard is that you need an older true farm type tractor, i.e. heavier frame row crop type tractor to have a PTO that could take the pounding of the baler. Is this not true?

I like to see an older tractor with an iron PTO housing.
I don’t think a little hobby haying will bother today’s lightweight tractors, but not all day every day.