HB580 Broom experience???

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #1  

TNMark1

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 Ventrac 4500Y
Question..
Thinking of buying a broom.... I didn't ask the dealer, but what powers it? Ventrac videos ... Are lacking..... One seems to show a belt off the front to the broom which also powers a hydro pump? (which I'm guessing angles it)....

Someone have one?

Mark H

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #2  
Welcome to the Ventrac club.

The belt drives a hydraulic pump that powers a motor attached to the broom. The direction of rotation is reversible. Lifting and angling of the broom are controlled separately by the tractor hydraulics.

Details are available on the Ventrac Website where you can download brochures, operators manuals, and parts catalogs for all products.

Welcome to the Ventrac club.

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #3  
I second what Jack said,I have a Steiner broom and I love how well they work.I know that it's not nearly as well built as the ventrac unit..As for video quality, I think they are more to show you the operation and performance than to show how they work.Ventrac has excellent support ,and they have every owners and parts manual for everything they've ever built online available from their website for free...they also have several brochures. .I wish other companies would follow there lead and do the same. I cannot get free manuals online for my Toro,Dixie Chopper, and Steiner machines...

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #4  
When I purchased my Ventrac 4500Y in December of last year, I also purchased an HB580 Broom and a KX523 Snow Blower. We had a good bit of snow this past Winter, and I ended up using the HB580 Broom substantially more often than I used the KX523. The HB580 Broom is useful for snow depths up to 4 to six inches.

I was very pleased with the performance of the HB580 Broom.

Our resident guru JackIL has explained the workings of the Broom.

I have not yet used the HB580 Broom to deal with leaves, but that time is coming.

Here are some pictures from this past Winter...

DSCN0991.JPG

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0992.JPG

DSCN1054.JPG

DSCN1056.JPG

DSCN1105.JPG

The Broom also very effectively deals with slush.

DSCN0917.JPG

DSCN1069.JPG

/ HB580 Broom experience???
Sounds good Was wondering about on snow.... I'm going to order one as soon as I get back.......

Thanks

Mark H

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #6  
Sounds good Was wondering about on snow.... I'm going to order one as soon as I get back.......

Thanks

Mark H

You're most welcome.

If you are interested in getting a broom so that you have it available for use before the first snowfall, I would suggest that you order the broom sooner rather than later. I did not place my order for the tractor and attachments until early December of last year. My dealer had a snow blower in stock, but not a broom. The factory was also out of brooms by that point, and another production run would not start until February or thereabouts... or so I understood from my dealer. The district manager for Ventrac found a broom at a dealership down in Virginia or North Carolina, and the manager drove down himself to pick it up. The district manager then dropped it off at my dealer's place of business, and the dealer delivered the broom along with the snow blower and the other attachments that I ordered.

The point is that seasonally sensitive items like snow blowers and brooms are best ordered a few months in advance of the anticipated first use. I got lucky.

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #7  
TNMark;

I wonder how the broom would have handled the snows we had last winter. Not so good is my guess. But our typical snows might be managed quite well by it.

prs

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #8  
TNMark;

I wonder how the broom would have handled the snows we had last winter. Not so good is my guess. But our typical snows might be managed quite well by it.

prs

I obtained excellent results last Winter with my broom. There were a few storms in which the depth was too much for the broom to handle unless I were to go out in the middle of the storm and clear the first several inches off of the driveway. For those storms, I used the snow blower. All in all, I would say that I used the broom at least three times as often as I used the blower.

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #9  
Why wear out a broom when there is clearly (in the nice pictures) enough snow for a blower which is available for use?

/ HB580 Broom experience??? #10  
Why wear out a broom when there is clearly (in the nice pictures) enough snow for a blower which is available for use?
I was thinking the same thing,the broom is a high cost per hour tool,that brush isn't cheap and doesn't last forever. I have a friend who doesn't have a plow,he uses his broom on his John Deere to push deep snow if it's relatively dry,He leaves the broom turned off and uses it as a plow first pass,then turns it on for th final pass,he does sidewalks and this works for him,his blower is much lower than the large 24 inch tall model ventrac sells.