HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out...

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #101  
When I was a militaryTransportation fleet manager for a six hundred vehicle fleet, I ordered DLR be used 24/7 by all drivers everywhere except in tactical situations. In two weeks we cut the vehicle accident rate by half, mostly back-up accidents. Headlights are very important aids to visible detection by other drivers, coming or going. They also mitigate against highway hypnosis accidents, big time, on long-haul trips. 4-way flashers must NOT be used frivolously, however. It makes people swear and ignore them when there really is a hazard. I am absolutely convinced that DLR saves lives!...and fenders.

Grayhound figured it out in the 1930's.

Unless impaired, most people notice 3 things - light, colour, movement. There are no guarantees (plenty of EMS vehicles parked on the side of the road still get plowed into, despite being lit up like a fireworks display), but the more of those 3 factors you can combine, the higher your on-road visiblity will be.

One of the reasons that many people don't pay much attention to these issues is the safety of modern light-vehicles (cars, and more recently, trucks). Many people now routinely walk away from crashes that were often fatal in decades past.

Rgds, D.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #102  
I had a close one Saturday morning and I wish the Jeep Wrangler had DRLs. Son had to be at school at 8:30 for a basketball tournament. I stop at the stop sign at the end of our road. A waited on a truck to pass (that had his lights on). I took another look both directions and started to go. Then all of a sudden this gray Jeep appeared out of the sunlight. That gray Jeep had disappeared into the sun. Had it had some DRLs, I would have been able to see it much sooner and much easier. For those that say DRLs don't work, I call BS, and there is yet another incident in my life that I've seen where they would've and could've worked.

/ HEADLIGHTS ON when its nasty out... #103  
I had a close one Saturday morning and I wish the Jeep Wrangler had DRLs. Son had to be at school at 8:30 for a basketball tournament. I stop at the stop sign at the end of our road. A waited on a truck to pass (that had his lights on). I took another look both directions and started to go. Then all of a sudden this gray Jeep appeared out of the sunlight. That gray Jeep had disappeared into the sun. Had it had some DRLs, I would have been able to see it much sooner and much easier. For those that say DRLs don't work, I call BS, and there is yet another incident in my life that I've seen where they would've and could've worked.

There you go boys...hard to argue with this post. DRL is good sense. Thanks for this post JWstewar...might save a life!:thumbsup: