Health insurance help please

/ Health insurance help please #21  
I would start by getting my hands on the full policy and reading exactly "what" I bought for insurance.

Insurance is just like any other commodity in that there are good and bad ones, top of the line and bottom of the line etc. etc. and I would want to insure that I was not arguing for something that I had not purchased.

That said, if my policy said it was covered, I would write everyone and their brother and certified mail it out to them saying how they should pay it.

Good luck, and hope you get it worked out, but most importantly, glad you are around to work it out.

/ Health insurance help please #22  
Generally speaking when you purchase health insurance....It will say things like $1500 out of pocket pay and 20% up to $5,000.....your total personal exposure would be $6500.00. Any bill AFTER you have met your obligation, at that point in time is not your concern. The fight should and must be between your insurance company and the health care provider. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE FIGHT.

Unless.... he has a 'maximum benefit' ... since he had a TIA in July it is very possible his plan has 'run out of money' and he is responsible for all the remaining bills during the year.

/ Health insurance help please #23  
Generally speaking when you purchase health insurance....It will say things like $1500 out of pocket pay and 20% up to $5,000.....your total personal exposure would be $6500.00. Any bill AFTER you have met your obligation, at that point in time is not your concern. The fight should and must be between your insurance company and the health care provider. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE FIGHT.

Any health insurance company can 'balance bill' you.

Most bankruptcies in the US are the result of situations likes this, people who have poor health insurance. That is why health services should not be a commodity, just like police services are not.

/ Health insurance help please #24  
Most bankruptcies in the US are the result of situations likes this, people who have poor health insurance. That is why health services should not be a commodity, just like police services are not.

Interesting analogy! Never thought of it in that way, but I see your point.

/ Health insurance help please #25  
Interesting analogy! Never thought of it in that way, but I see your point.

Its a pretty bad analogy. Without the "state" providing protection through law enforcement, courts and laws you have anarchy or dictatorship.

If I don't carry enough insurance on my cars, I can have an accident that could allow someone to sue me and take everything I own.

If I don't carry enough insurance on my house any number of events could cause me to loose my house.

How is health insurance is different?

Without a home that provides shelter from the weather and insects health insurance is rather moot since I would not live long.

Later,
Dan

/ Health insurance help please #26  
Its a pretty bad analogy. Without the "state" providing protection through law enforcement, courts and laws you have anarchy or dictatorship.

If I don't carry enough insurance on my cars, I can have an accident that could allow someone to sue me and take everything I own.

If I don't carry enough insurance on my house any number of events could cause me to loose my house.

How is health insurance is different?

Without a home that provides shelter from the weather and insects health insurance is rather moot since I would not live long.

Later,
Dan

The main difference I see is all the items you listed, home, auto, etc. are not comparable to loosing your life, or having your health so impaired, you are unable to earn a living.

Lot of homeless people all over the country, it's usually the side effects of mental illness, alcohol or drugs that kill them.

If you are homeless or hungry, there are programs (stretched at the moment) that will help you survive until you get back on your feet.

That aside, there is no comparison to what it costs you to have shelter and food verus what it costs for health insurance, or what it can cost if your insurance runs out or drops you.

So, I guess the part of the analogy that makes sense to me - police can save your life, police are paid by tax dollars. We generally appreciate them except when they are handing us a ticket. Doctors can save your life, doctors are paid by a combination of tax and non-tax dollars. They are both needed to keep us alive.

I don't think we want to kick a productive citizen and their family to the curb because they cannot afford health care, got a bad policy, got the only policy they could afford, are being jerked around by the ins. company or doctor, and least of all, just because they happen to suffer from a serious health problem.

I do understand the basis of your statement, but I just don't see it that way.
Dave.

/ Health insurance help please #27  
My wife, two children, and daughter-in-law are all nurses. While they all make decent money, believe me that the incredible, amazing, dramatic increase in medical costs is not trickling down to the people actually providing services. Remember, the nurses are those folks who keep the doctors from killing you.

Chuck
Love it. . . and its so true! ! !

/ Health insurance help please #28  
The problem with the police analogy is that there is no other alternative other than anarchy or worse.

There are workable solutions for health care. Not perfect but workable. Perfect requires more money than any country has so far been willing to pay.

An earlier post concerned health care costs regarding bankruptcy and people loosing their homes. We pay for insurance for many other things in our life. And we carry that insurance to cover our risks. Health care is no different. Failing to carry proper coverage for health, auto, liability, or housing can cost people their homes.

Where I see messed up insurance policies I see the hand of the government. Look at what has happened in FLA with house insurance. It is a real mess because the state will not allow the insurance companies to increase premiums. As a result the companies are not insuring homes. One can argue that the insurance companies want too much money. Well, if the don't see they are going to make a profit on THEIR money/investment why should the companies write policies? And they aint. The state aka the people are now the ones carrying all of the risk and if another big storm hits FLA that state is going to have some severe financial problems. My state is playing similar games regarding insurance premiums of homes at the coast. I am on the hook financially due to some twit building a mansion on a sand bar.

Insurance companies are not saints. They need to be regulated. But mix government mandates into insurance and its a bigger mess.

Later,
Dan

/ Health insurance help please #30  
Hey Dan,

Well, tell me what you are really mad about :D

To honor MossRoad's request and not make a political spectacle out of deere755's problems, I think I'll leave off. I do enjoy the discourse.

I hope deere755 recovers, there have been a lot of great responses by people who have had similar experiences.

Dave.