Hearing Protection w/Radio

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #11  
Before it got wet it did..........:rolleyes:

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #12  
ATGREEN I think you are mistaken that you have the digitals. The analogs have a tuning knob and the digitals have a frequency readout. I bought a pair like I think that you have (yellow cups) a few years ago and they were lousy. Three step level volume, ambiguous tuning and push button function selection. You know press and hold for three seconds then press three times. A real pita.
The AOsafety line is Peltor's economy models with noise reduction ratings of 22 db. The peltors, like the wtd2600 are the commercial line with NRR's of 26db. That means that they reduce outside noise to one third of the 22 db muffs. The wtd2600's have a conventional volume control.
You say that you left yours out in the rain and now it jumps frequency. You're lucky it still works. As far as the volume control problem, try reversing the headset putting the left earpiece on your right ear. It might help.
I dropped my muffs and they broke, so I junked them. Then I bought my current pair which has a conventional potentiometer volume control and no function buttons - they used switches instead. I'm unhappy with them because of the difficulty in finding stations using the poorly marked tuning knob.
Anyhow, I ordered a pair of the digital's today. I'll report on it later.
In doing research I found that Peltor has a lot of variations. Like walki-talkie versions, mp3 versions, aircraft band versions, and a real neat racing version. The racing version lets you listen to the broadcast race and hook in your scanner at the same time.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #13  
Maine_Polack said:
What might be the latest and greatest in ear muffs with radio?

I would prefer to stick with Peltor, since they will also fit my hardhat. Their newest model is model WTD2600, with a NRR of 26. Any one using this?

That being said, I would consider another brand if the reception was superior. Like many, I live outthere.

Are these muffs/radio directional as far as reception is concerned?

Thanks, Al

Why would you buy this ..?Sureley ear protection allows just enough to be aware of hazards around you ...A radio in there would be very dangerous..?
I'm a logger and i like to hear those back ground noises,I would probably be dead now with a radio in my ear...?
And as for tractor work ....You need to hear those "crunches and grinds" ....?

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #14  
For those of you who want hearing protection without the radio, here is a link to a company that has a very different product. At first glance it looks like an ordinary ear plug, but they custom mold it to your ear, just like when you get hearing aids. The material is a special kind of foam. They have had them tested by various mining companies and factories like stamping plants and won approvals and orders for like 20,000 sets at a time.

The wonderful thing I found when using them is how much they deaden the noise of the tractor or chain saw, yet if my wife comes up behind me and starts talking, I can hear her.

Here's the link
Hearing Protection Products | Sonomax

Might be hard to find. They are retailing through the "Hear at Last" shops in some WalMart stores.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #15  
D7E said:
Why would you buy this ..?Sureley ear protection allows just enough to be aware of hazards around you ...A radio in there would be very dangerous..?
I'm a logger and i like to hear those back ground noises,I would probably be dead now with a radio in my ear...?

I don't have these types of ear protection with built in radios but I have in the past used a pair of ear buds out of my cell phone to listen to music while working (usually while raking hay). I do not turn them up full blast, just enough that I can hear the music as it helps on long days of driving in circles. Even with the ear protection over the ear buds and my music on I can still hear what is behind me. So unless you really crank these things up (which kind of defeats the point of ear protection) you shouldn't have any trouble with knowing what is behind you and what it is doing.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio
D7E said:

I agree...I too like to hear that first "Ccracck!" of a tree moving when dropping. That being said, they do not, as I understand it, blank out all other noise.

Also, there are many tasks that I don't need a hard hat for, and will wear just the muffs. I think it would be nice to listen, while working in the garden, stacking wood etc.

I guess I will just play it by "ear"...:rolleyes: for a while, until I find out what works for me.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #17  
I have the digital worktunes and like them. It makes three hours of mowing, and running string trimmer go quicker.

Brad

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #18  
I started off with the "old school" Peltors. I liked 'em better than a sharp stick in the eye, but they had several issues. Poor ability to lock in on a channel. Difficult to adjust while on a moving tractor. And most of all, they weren't exactly comfortable for long periods of time.

Enter the digital Peltors. I bought a set 3 weeks ago. I wore them long enough to get a good read on them. MUCH better tuning ability. Somewhat better reception. About the same comfort level, MAYBE a touch better. Hard to say, being new, the padding is still soft and supple.

So....I was still searching. 5 days ago, I went in to a local "outdoor power equipment" dealer who sells Husqvarna products. Husky has their own line of digital AM/FM noise reduction headphones. They retailed for $120.

Long story short, I have 2 sets of Peltors that I'd make anyone a real deal on! The Husqvarna headphones have adjustable tension. (Good for those of us with wide heads;)) They seem to have GREAT reception. Push button digital tuning that STAYS on channel and makes channel selection a breeze, even while bouncing along on a moving tractor. Sound is excellent. The ear "cups" are much smaller than the Peltors. More streamlined, they aren't as easy to knock off when around tree limbs, ect. And are they EVER comfortable! The noise reduction capabilities seem to exceed that of the newer Peltor model in my estimation.

On a 1-10 scale, I'd rate the digital Peltors about a 7. The Husqvarnas get a 9.5 (Peak volume not as loud as I'd like it when one of my favorite oldies comes on)

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #19  
Every one is writing about the radio and no one is talking about the noise protection, which after all is the main purpose of the muffs. this may assist you.

Your thread got me curious so I went looking for my sound pressure level meter and did a few measurements:
In the following listing, some readings are typical and are published and some are my measurements.
10db threshold of hearing
50db speech
64db I measured roadside traffic noise at 50 feet
70db vacuum cleaner at 10 feet
74db I measured my miata convertible with the top up
74db I measured my JD2320 stationary and idling at 1500rpm
80db heavy traffic
84db I measured my miata convertible with the top down
85db tractors with soundproof cabs
85db I measured my JD2320 stationary and idling at 3000rpm
90db I measured my 6hp/22 rotary push mower
99db I measured my weed whacker
100db tractors w/o soundproof cabs and farm machines
120db chainsaw and jackhammer
130db jet takeoff at 200 feet
140db threshold of pain
180db The volcano Krakatoa in Java (26Aug1883) at a distance of 100 miles-this explosion was the loudest sound ever heard by man

And here's another listing on permissible sound level exposure from the U.S. Department of Labor
8 hours 90db
6 hours 92db
4 hours 95db
2 hours 100db
.25 hours or less 115db

So, looking at the above data leads one to the conclusion that it is not necessary to have ear protection on the JD2320 even operating at maximum rpm. Also I should not exceed 2 hours per day weed whacking without protection. As for the chain saw, protection is mandatory.

/ Hearing Protection w/Radio #20  
D7E said:

That's the same arguement I've heard from oldetimers as to why they don't wear hearing protection AT ALL in the woods. BTW, most of these guys have suffered quite a bit of hearing loss by the time they're 60. It gets old having to raise your voice to nearly a level of a shout to have conversation with them. I don't want to be like that when I get old. That's why I wear hearing protection for nearly everything I do that's even remotely loud.

On the "crunches and grinds" you can usually 'feel' them as much as you can hear them if you're attuned to it (no pun intended).

Having a radio just makes it more enjoyable. :)