Heart Healthy Eating

/ Heart Healthy Eating
Your brain needs cholesterol to function. You should look into arginine. Opens the blood vessels.

Yes, you do need cholesterol for cell function and hormone production but if you have existing heart disease your total cholesterol should stay below 150 and LDL cholesterol should be below 70 which is more than enough for normal body function. Your body, the liver, makes all the cholesterol it needs there is no need to eat additional cholesterol. Interestingly, the statins you take only lowers the cholesterol your liver makes not the cholesterol you eat.

Arginine is an amino acid that you pretty much get in every food you eat and is important in the formation of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide keeps the linings of the arteries, the endothelium, healthy so cholesterol does not stick to it. Dr. Esselstyn does not recommend buying the supplement from health food stores because you get all you need when you eat healthy.

/ Heart Healthy Eating
We really like eating
quinoa, ....

Forgeblast, here is our favorite quinoa salad recipe.

1/2 cup corn (cooked)
1 cup cooked quinoa (1/3 cup quinoa to 2/3 cup water boil then simmer 20 min)
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
2 Tbsp thinly sliced green onion
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 1/2 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt
pepper
Mix well!

/ Heart Healthy Eating #23  
Txdon, just a quick (I hope) opinion. Don't get too hung up on studies. For every study, there's another one out there (or will be) that contradicts it, and if you look hard enough you can find it. If they didn't destroy it, you can probably find the study that said DDT was safe. Yes, there is a lot of contradictory information out there when it comes to nutrition, that's why it is important to keep researching and to learn something new every day. A wise man once told me something that personally hit home, "Stupidity is thinking your wise. Wisdom is knowing your stupid". When I threw out everything I thought I knew, doors that had always been closed to me threw themselves wide open. Now, when I think I know something, I rigorously try to prove myself wrong. Yes, it takes a lot of time, but it's my life and it's worth it to me. So if you're up to challenging yourself, go to Principles of Healthy Diets - Weston A Price Foundation and try to read it with an open mind. For me, it came down to common sense. If you want to learn how to eat healthy, study what healthy populations eat in their natural environment, not a bunch of rats in a laboratory.

/ Heart Healthy Eating
Schemp, too bad Weston died in 1948 and did not have access to the knowledge and indisputable facts concerning heart disease in the last 60+ years. His main purpose was looking at the diets around the world concerning dental health.

I have been researching diet and heart disease extensively since my heart attack. It has nothing to do with an open mind, it has to do with facts.

When talking to cardiologists at:
THE WEATHERHEAD CENTER
FOR PREVENTING AND REVERSING ATHEROSCLEROSIS
AT
THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL SCHOOL AT HOUSTON
AND
MEMORIAL HERMAN HOSPITAL
they say it has been well known for the last 25 years that diet causes heart disease. Over 80% of people with known heart disease (heart attack or heart procedure) will not change their diet significantly. When there is no change in diet there is no change in the progression of heart disease.

At the Weatherhead center, They use the PET scan on the heart that shows the diet working. The scan is on people with heart disease, not rats. Right now they are doing a 5 year study not on the known fact that diet can reverse heart disease but on the incentive to get people to change their diet/lifestyle

The 5 year study called the "Century Study" lets people look at the regression of their heart disease through the PET scan. Half of the people in the study see their results yearly the other half do not.

If anyone doubts that diet can control heart disease please go to Houston and talk to the doctors at the Weatherhead center. It could save your life.

Their program is not as strict as Dr. Esselstyn's program but for me I believe I must try my very best and Esselstyn's program includes everything in the Century Study and more.

Quote from Schemp: "For me, it came down to common sense. If you want to learn how to eat healthy, study what healthy populations eat in their natural environment, not a bunch of rats in a laboratory." If this is true and you base you diet on this then I'm sure you will want to read "The China Study".

Last edited:
   / Heart Healthy Eating #25  
tx,

After my stent I changed my diet completely and went through a heart rehab program. I lost 45 lbs initially. My weight is still down but fluctuates. I was a vegetarian 30+ years ago for about 5 years - I was very athletic then. Your food choice sounds more like a vegan path. Be careful of your B12 count. Mine dropped to half do to the fact I gave up red meat. So I am taking a vitamin to counter the low count. I still eat salmon, chicken and our own free ranged pork and everything in moderation - which is the key. I only use VG extra virgin olive oil cold pressed to cook with and in my own salad dressings. Also, I completely eliminated salt/sodium from my diet even though I used sea salt to cook with for years. I find my weight fluctuates based on the carbs I eat. I can not process flour based foods(bread, pasta) and potatoes etc. I gave this up when I first changed my food choice and lost a lot of weight quickly. I eat a bit now and then but really feel the effects after.

There are a couple of diets/thoughts circulating which I heard about and I am not sure of source but sound interesting. One is you shouldn't consume anything that has a heart - guide line. I guess the consumption of "heart" foods oppose the nature of the human make-up and food need. The other thought is that we are dna programmed for our diet 1000's of years ago. So, based on your ancestral origin your diet should be in line with the food they ate - ie:asian or coastal areas: fish, in-land would be meat, agrarian would be grains only etc. So eating things unrelated to our origin throws us out of balance. You can see what our present western diet has done to our northern inuit peoples and aboriginals over the last 100+ years.

I also read that not all heart conditions can be reversed but most can... through diet and exercise.

Take care and be careful... the body needs time to change and adapt. You can do a lot of damage to your organs quickly with a very quick weight lose and diet change.

/ Heart Healthy Eating
tx,

After my stent I changed my diet completely and went through a heart rehab program. I lost 45 lbs initially. My weight is still down but fluctuates. I was a vegetarian 30+ years ago for about 5 years - I was very athletic then. Your food choice sounds more like a vegan path. Be careful of your B12 count. Mine dropped to half do to the fact I gave up red meat. So I am taking a vitamin to counter the low count. I still eat salmon, chicken and our own free ranged pork and everything in moderation - which is the key. I only use VG extra virgin olive oil cold pressed to cook with and in my own salad dressings. Also, I completely eliminated salt/sodium from my diet even though I used sea salt to cook with for years. I find my weight fluctuates based on the carbs I eat. I can not process flour based foods(bread, pasta) and potatoes etc. I gave this up when I first changed my food choice and lost a lot of weight quickly. I eat a bit now and then but really feel the effects after.

There are a couple of diets/thoughts circulating which I heard about and I am not sure of source but sound interesting. One is you shouldn't consume anything that has a heart - guide line. I guess the consumption of "heart" foods oppose the nature of the human make-up and food need. The other thought is that we are dna programmed for our diet 1000's of years ago. So, based on your ancestral origin your diet should be in line with the food they ate - ie:asian or coastal areas: fish, in-land would be meat, agrarian would be grains only etc. So eating things unrelated to our origin throws us out of balance. You can see what our present western diet has done to our northern inuit peoples and aboriginals over the last 100+ years.

I also read that not all heart conditions can be reversed but most can... through diet and exercise.

Take care and be careful... the body needs time to change and adapt. You can do a lot of damage to your organs quickly with a very quick weight lose and diet change.

Loyd E thanks for your post, I'm glad you found the diet that works for you. I'm glad you posted, every person is different and the origin of the ancestors theory is interesting. I have traced 16 of my great great grand parents back to crop farmers in southeastern Germany which could be why even the low meat diet of the American Heart Association did not work for me. If you have ancestors from different areas of the world it could take a lifetime to figure out the genes which are affecting your health and which foods to avoid. You are right about the diet not reversing every heart condition. The diet affects only the ones that have arterial blockage due to plaque build up from cholesterol. And then there are some people that cannot eat legumes/vegetables/grains/greens.

If you have genes from one ancestor that make carbohydrates intolerable and genes from another ancestor that causes the cholesterol from animal products to cause plaque build-up, oh man..... at least the statins will decrease the cholesterol your body does make. The only change I would make after reading all about the oils is to cut them out. I wonder if our ancestors just used oil for lamps or if they ate it?

I'm taking B-12 and after my stent I lost 15 pounds and am in the normal BMI now. I was almost on a vegetarian diet shortly before so cutting out the oils and dairy (especially in processed foods) was my biggest dietary change.

It sounds like you would be an excellent patient for the Century Study in Houston. I know the questions all of us with heart disease have is are we doing everything we can to combat our disease and is our lifestyle change stopping the plaque build-up. Take care.

/ Heart Healthy Eating
Edamame Appetizer Recipe >. I forgot all about this..maybe ya'll already know about how good this is ..but I buy these Edamame at Sam's club in the Frozen Veggie section...about $5.00 for a 5 lb. bag...These are great...delicious in fact and you can even use the microwave but the link below gives a recipe..they are soy beans in the pod and you eat them as a snack ....don't laugh..these are really good and addictive...Try it and let me know how you like it...Thank me later...:licking:

Edamame Appetizer Recipe - RecipeTips.com

Brin, I was in Sam's today and remembered your post. I bought the 5 pound bag with the little microwavable bags inside and cooked one. The directions said not to open the bag so I did not salt them while cooking and after they were done I was thinking why salt the shells if you don't eat the shells? So I had them without salt and they are OK, and whole lot healthier than peanuts which I can't eat. A good late night snack! I just had half a packet in 10 minutes. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
   / Heart Healthy Eating #29  
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Txdon. Most people get ruffled feathers when someone offers a counter-view. Glad to see your not one of them.

too bad Weston died in 1948 and did not have access to the knowledge and indisputable facts concerning heart disease in the last 60+ years.
Yes it is a shame he passed. But the only indisputable fact I have been able to find about heart disease is the fact that for the hundreds of years they have been plotting it (and all the other diseases of civilization), it remained pretty steady and pretty low until the beginning of the industrial revolution, at which time the slope of the line increased somewhat, and then around the late 1950's it makes another big increase, with another big kink upward that looks like the end of a hockey stick around the 1980's. Does this correlate to the beginning of pasteurization around the 1900's, the death of the small family farm and the beginning of huge, industrial mega farm post WWII, and finally the beginning of the FDA's food pyramid scheme to get American's to eat up all the oil soaked grain being produced on these mega farms? Or did our genes suddenly change, or perchance we all decided to start eating like pigs at the same time? I don't know what kind of diet you had before your heart problems, but if you're like the rest of us, it was probably a SAD one (Standard American Diet). We eat the deadest food on the planet, and we have the stats to show it. After you grow food genetically modified to survive on dead soil, pasteurize, homogenize, irradiate, then microwave it, how can you expect there to be anything but empty calories left?
When talking to cardiologists at:
THE WEATHERHEAD CENTER FOR PREVENTING AND REVERSING ATHEROSCLEROSIS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL SCHOOL AT HOUSTON AND MEMORIAL HERMAN HOSPITAL
they say it has been well known for the last 25 years that diet causes heart disease. Over 80% of people with known heart disease (heart attack or heart procedure) will not change their diet significantly. When there is no change in diet there is no change in the progression of heart disease.
I hope they didn't charge for that info, because I could have told you that for free. In fact, I'll guarantee you that everyone who religiously sticks to a SAD diet and survives long enough will eventually suffer the ill effects of it. Hippocrates got it right when he said all diseases start in the gut. We are what we eat. We are walking around with huge bellies, literally starving to death. The body is a miraculous thing and has the ability to heal itself, but only if we give it the raw materials to work with, and get the heck out of its way. When we get a cold, the body makes us cough, because it is trying to get the bad out. What do we do? We take cough suppression medicine. The body then can't get out the bad stuff by coughing, so it tries to do it another way. It gives us the runs. What do we do, we take stuff to stop the runs. Eventually the body runs out of ways to fight the sickness. If we had just left it alone and put up with a little cough, we would have been done with it in a few days and would have built up a resistance to what it was fighting in the first place.
At the Weatherhead center, They use the PET scan on the heart that shows the diet working. The scan is on people with heart disease, not rats.
No difference, their just using people as rats. They're still not studying the whole system in its natural enviornment. They are studying just a little part of it. Sure, they can probably come up with a way to make that picture of a heart look like the way they say it should look, but at what expense to the other systems. I laugh every time I see a commercial for a new drug and they have to list the side effects at the end. "Yes, you can have clear skin as long as you don't mind possibly going blind, having a stroke, or dying." At least everyone will comment how good your skin looks as they pass by your coffin. Lloyde E makes some very good points in his post. His foray into veganism reflects what many others have said. Good at first, bad over the long term.
The above quote should say originally posted by Lloyde E. I haven't learned how to make that happen yet.
We actually stood up about 2.5 million years ago and called ourselves man, with the exact same brain capacity the we have now. For 2.49 out of those 2.5 million years, we had the same basic diet; forager/hunter. Our bodies evolved to that diet. It was only about 10,000 years ago that we started agriculture, a blink of the eye, about twelve seconds ago on a twelve hour clock. Humans don't have the natural ability to digest grain because we don't have a rumen. Apparently a lot of people started dying out when we first tried to eat grains, until they discovered that you had to ferment the grains first, then the grains turn into a form we can digest. The grains we eat today are not fermented. Guess what's going to happen?
The whole point I'm trying to make is that these studies don't study whole, natural, grass based food systems that haven't been industrialized yet. You're absolutely right, confinement animals pumped full of chemicals to keep them alive will kill you over time. But grass-fed, naturally raised happy animals will heal you over time. And I'm talking about all foods, not just animals.
Medicine is big business in this country, about 20% of the GDP. There are a lot of people out there who stand to lose a whole lot of money if people figure out how to stop being sick on their own. Small natural based farms selling unpasteurized, unhomoginized milk to people who want these things are under attack these days, literally at gunpoint by the FDA. What threat do these farms pose? I can go out and buy a pack of cigarettes and a six pack of beer, but I can't go out and buy unpasteurized milk for fear of arrest. What's wrong with that picture!

/ Heart Healthy Eating #30  
Brin, I was in Sam's today and remembered your post. I bought the 5 pound bag with the little microwavable bags inside and cooked one. The directions said not to open the bag so I did not salt them while cooking and after they were done I was thinking why salt the shells if you don't eat the shells? So I had them without salt and they are OK, and whole lot healthier than peanuts which I can't eat. A good late night snack! I just had half a packet in 10 minutes. Thanks for the tip.

Don, I am glad you liked them...I can't eat peanuts either, I like them but they don't like me and like you I snack on these instead, much healthier..