Heat Pump

/ Heat Pump #61  
Would those mini splits be ducted? What would the air handler do if there were mini splits installed?

Mini split would use a ducted air handler (multi position, 4 way) or could use a coil on a furnace. At that point, you would still be able to run numerous indoor mini splits off the same outdoor unit that you have the air handler or coil connected to.

Keep in mind, most mini split manufacturers already have dedicated horizontal ducted units, but the static pressure generally sucks for those. The key is using a multiposition air handler with a inverter outdoor unit that you can connect to your standard duct work.

Thing is, EVERY United States manufacturer of split systems have a inverter system, multi position ducted air handler avialble out now for residential retrofit. The reality is the US manufacturers generally out perform the mini split line for both SEER and heating capability vs the overseas mini split manufacturers. Added the fact that parts availability is generally better from US manfuacturers and most help is done within the US. This is where the US has a leg up over their overseas competition.

Personally, IMO, if you already have ductwork, there really is no reason to use a overseas mini split manufacturer if you're just replacing your current ducted system.

Mini splits really shine in heating and cooling areas where ductwork can't be run IMO.

Keep in mind, I've been pushing mini splits for over 20 years now, even when contractors were calling them "voodoo magic" that really don't work LOL I do like them (mini splits), they just aren't the greatest thing since slice bread depedning on the application though IMO for the US market.

/ Heat Pump #62  
that is a VRF inverter unit. Can't remember but strips are not needed as they are around -4 ?. I would have to locate that info again. I have researched it in the past though. We'll see. If it doesn't preform, I'll add heat ,or replace the system with something else.
Nephew is tech MGR with Nortek Global and I have been discussing these with him

As you probably know, There are many manufactures that are out sourcing this stuff from china. There are a few manufactured here

Last edited:
   / Heat Pump #63  
I like this heap pump thing. We have a 3000sf all-electric home built in the mid-50s with no insulation, in Western Washington. Electric bill in the dead of winter exceeded than $500 because the old heat pump wasn't very efficient around 30F. So it was using electricity for resistive heat = $$$

We have forced air heating. At appx 30F the old heat pump had to supplement with electric resistance heat. The heat pump was 15 yrs old and quit last spring. (RHEEM) We just got a modern LG unit "inverter" installed that will heat the house until outside temp drops to -5F. In Western WA we'll probably never have -5F. The contractor did not install or recommend any electric heat resistance supplement because we have a fireplace with an insert as backup heat.

Anyway, to feel warm air coming out of the floor registers, knowing that all that's running is a refrigerant pump and some fans. That modern machine is out there in the yard dutifully gathering free energy from the outside air, and simply pumping it into the house,,,,is awful darn satisfying. You might suggest it's making it colder for everyone else, but I don't think so. The heat that leaks out of our non-insulated house just goes back outside. we just borrow the heat for a little while.;)

We added both solar panels and a heat pump in the summertime 2018. One month Oct 16 to Nov 16, 2017 our electric cost was $355 whereas the same period in 2018 with the new heat pump and solar panels cost $44.

Lots of eqpt was installed but we know the solar panels will pay for themselves in 7 years. Will be nice to fully own that system after its paid for and at that point electricity becomes 100% completely "free". Not sure when the new heat pump will pay itself off (only in comparison). It would be simpler to understand if we didn't have the solar panels putting free energy in too. But we needed a new heat pump anyway.

And we get air conditioning in the summertime which is 'cool' and of course offset by the better solar panel production in the summertime. Anyway, the future is coming, gotta get on board folks! These things pay for themselves (in comparison to using old technology).

Even if you're heavily invested in 'energy' stocks for your retirement income, your returns from investment doesn't come close to what you'll save by gathering your own energy.

Last edited:
   / Heat Pump #64  
I intend to install an inverter driven compressor VRF unit connected a matching A.H. They are telling me it will heat down to -30* due to a hot gas bypass in the unit

Can't wait to get these hear strips gone