Heater Advice

/ Heater Advice #1  

KubotaOne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B-3030, FEL & BH
I'm looking to have heat installed in my shop for this winter. From what I've read so far, a vented, propane wall mount unit is probably my best option. My shop is a total of 800 square feet, fully insulated. There is a wall in the middle, with a man door for access to both sides. My questions are:

1. how to heat both sides with just one heater?
2. what size BTU? (remember, I'm in Canada, so it's cold)
3. Are the wall unit heaters quiet?

I've included a picture of my shop (and no, it's not that clean anymore, lol)

thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• shop combined.jpg
    shop combined.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 559
   / Heater Advice #2  
If you are looking for one heater to heat both sides, the only one that I could think of that would work well would be a hot air furnace and ductwork. I don't think that a wall heater will do both sides of the building efficiently. Possibly two wall furnaces would still be less expensive than purchasing one hot air furnace and ductwork. They do make some very efficient wall mounted condensing propane furnaces that don't take up much room and are reasonably priced. Wall furnaces seem to have the prices pegged with the efficiency rating, so the more you spend initially, the more you save on fuel.
Dusty

/ Heater Advice #3  
That is one nice looking Garage. :D

As you are having the furnace installed check out the local popular brand dealers. The Yellow pages. Chances are they can get you set up with a proper sized unit to handle both sides. Get some quotes. Choose the one you want.

Many garages have overhead heaters to take up less floor space.

I'd also insist on the high efficiency model that uses plastic pipe for the exhaust.

If real problems develop move the garage onto my back yard and I will take care of the heating issue!:D :D

/ Heater Advice #4  
you could use electric baseboard heaters. they are fairly cheap to buy and if you have the skills they are easy to install.

/ Heater Advice
Thanks Dusty and Egon,

Maybe I'll start with calling my local Propane supplier, hopefully they will come out and give me some suggestions. I know they sell all types of heaters and furnaces.

Perhaps two smaller wall/overhead units, one on either side, would end up being the best solution. I suppose it could be more economical, allowing me to keep the side I'm working in at room temperature, while the other side is set just above the freezing mark.

/ Heater Advice #6  
Check Northern Tool for heaters. I assume that they will ship to Canada. I have a 75,000 ceiling heater that works well, and the cost was reasonable. I did the work myself, and the heater and all the plumbing and vent parts cost me under $500. I don't use it that often to worry about efficiency. Also, how well insulated is the building? The better insulated, the less BTU's you will need. Mine was made by Mr. Heater.
Dusty

/ Heater Advice #7  
Check with your local heating contractor. I wanted a furnace for my garage, the guy had one they just took out of a house because the guy wanted a new "energy efficient" one. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this unit and I got it for F R E E!! Heck of a deal. I had to invest a little in piping and ducting but now I have a 80,000 btu furnace heating my shop/garage for practically nothing!

/ Heater Advice #8  
Do not forget to check into insurance coverage. It may require a certified installer.

Do a trip around to the dealers showroom and ask questions and look at different options. Also consider your propane supplier as they may also sell the end units.

Just as a suggestion a through the wall fan unit or ducting should allow you one furnace. That would be a lot cheaper than two units.:D

/ Heater Advice #9  
Some town requires a building permit for any heating appliance install. As long as you get the permit, you are covered as far as the insurance company is concerned. The town is the final inspection, and if it isn't safe, they will let you know. If you use propane, the propane supplier will not hook up to the unit unless they do a pressure / leak test and make sure that everything is done correctly.

/ Heater Advice #10  
Since it is too late to install radiant floor heating, a radiant tube ceiling heater would be by far the nicest, but unfortunately also one of the most expensive options. They are nice because they heat the floor and objects on the floor instead of the air, in which case the air at the ceiling can be 90 degrees while it is 60 degrees at the floor. Otherwise a wall heater works well, and they are very quite because they are designed to go in a home's living area such as the living room. A hanging unit heater also works well, and is one of the easiest installations, or like someone else said, a used furnace with a small amount of duct work to blow the air where you want it.