Heating a stuck grease zerk

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #11  
How have you found the HF zerks to hold up? Do they last? Have any bust off, requiring an easy out or something to remove? Just curious if you have experienced any quality issues before I start going cheap on these.

i sure have not repalced any twice. so i'd call that a 'no issue' answer.

In fact. the multi pack in the palstic box i got at HF for either 2.99 or 3.99 ( can't honestly recall ).. look EXACTLY like the same zerks sold inthe baggies at the auto stores in town.. and at tsc. they are likely ALL chinese made.. you just get to choose what price you want to pay. high price.. or low price. :) realize too.. that a retailer selling in bulk usually has better prices. i expect to pay more per unit if i buy a 10 pack and not a 100 pack. same quality etc.

my guess / opinion only.. ive done no 'real ' testing other than to simply repalce old zerks with new ones when needed and then use them ( pump with grease as needed. )

all threads have been correct.. and i doen't recall any leaking check balls... none broke during install.

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #12  

In fact. the multi pack in the palstic box i got at HF for either 2.99 or 3.99 ( can't honestly recall ).. look EXACTLY like the same zerks sold inthe baggies at the auto stores in town.. and at tsc. they are likely ALL chinese made.. you just get to choose what price you want to pay. high price.. or low price. :) realize too.. that a retailer selling in bulk usually has better prices. i expect to pay more per unit if i buy a 10 pack and not a 100 pack. same quality etc.

my guess / opinion only.. ive done no 'real ' testing other than to simply repalce old zerks with new ones when needed and then use them ( pump with grease as needed. )

all threads have been correct.. and i doen't recall any leaking check balls... none broke during install.

Ditto. Maybe there should be a new thread called "Parts From H.F. That Don't Suck".

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #13  
   / Heating a stuck grease zerk #14  
I'd have to look it up but isn't it called "Tools" that don't suck? dunno....

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #15  
oh well..yeah.. it may be.. it took it to be a general thread on items sold at HF..

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #16  
What about replacing a zerk that has stripped the internal threads in an axle end? My friend pulled one off while greasing my axles this weekend; his grease gun zerk fitting was real tight, it pulled one off and now won't tighten back up.

I'll get one of those zerk kits from HF next time I'd down there.

Thanks,

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #17  
depending onthe axle size you have a couple options.

you could shrink the hole ID with some smacks open face by a hammer. or even stake it in with a pin punch.. or switch to a drive zerk. lastly.. you could drill out and go to the next size zerk. if the axle was broke down.. I might even braze it and retap it..e tc. all depends what / where..e tc..

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #18  
My friend pulled one off while greasing my axles this weekend; his grease gun zerk fitting was real tight, it pulled one off and now won't tighten back up.QUOTE]

I'd suggest that your good Mate loosen the tip of his grease gun for the future. It is adjustable. :2cents:

/ Heating a stuck grease zerk #19  
   / Heating a stuck grease zerk #20  

thanks... good enough recommendation for me.