Heavy Lifting

/ Heavy Lifting #1  

ShenandoahJoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
I have a propane tank that weighs about 1,700 pounds. I have a tractor that maxes out about 1,800. (Kubota B7300 with FEL.) How can I lift that tank high enough to put it in a truck? Without building a permanent structure, that is. :)

/ Heavy Lifting #2  
Possible to lift one end of the tank, back truck under it, lower it onto bed of truck, then side tank onto truck while lifting/pushing the other end? That way there would be no need to lift the entire 1,700 lbs.

/ Heavy Lifting
I'd love to, but I can't reach higher than the bed of a large pickup truck, unless there's some trick to it.

/ Heavy Lifting #4  
Got any heavy timbers? If you have enough you can do it. Lift the tank up onto them, one end at a time, carefully positioning the timbers as you go. Once you get the tank high enough, position the truck and carefully push the tank onto it, holding up the outside end with the FEL. You can use rollers if skidding isn't an option.

It should go without saying that this isn't something you want to do in a slip shod manner.

/ Heavy Lifting #5  
I'd visit my local rental place and rent a larger tractor/FEL or a large forklift with enough lifting height capability to get that tank onto the truckbed. Better than possibly boogering up your FEL/tractor.

/ Heavy Lifting #6  
Is it going in a pickup truck?
How is it 1700lbs ? Does it have propane in it? Reason I ask is that makes a big difference trying to push it in with it sloshing around I would think.

Got a picture of it?
Mounting it on runners (6x6 or at least 4x4) would make it easier to slide and hold steady.

/ Heavy Lifting #7  
Your local propane company should have a propane truck with crane that can safely lift the tank. Sometimes the best tools are telephone and checkbook.

/ Heavy Lifting #8  
Your local propane company should have a propane truck with crane that can safely lift the tank. Sometimes the best tools are telephone and checkbook.

Your propane company has a special trailer that they use to transport those tanks. I would give them a call and let them pick it up and more it for you. If it is a local move and will be serviced by the gas dealer then they would move it free of charge. Better check the ownership of that tank anyway, it could belong to the propane company especially if you bought it or thinking of buying it from an individual. Not to many folks buy their tanks in that size and they are usually furnished on a lease basis from the propane distributor.

/ Heavy Lifting
Oh, it's my tank, all right. It's been here on the property since Lyndon Johnson was President. My standard procedure is (1) figure it out for myself; (2) ask somebody smarter than me; (3) pay somebody else to do it.
I was hoping somebody would suggest doing something clever with an FEL, an engine hoist, a come-along, and fifty feet of garden hose, but it looks like this is one of those times when (2) says do (3).

/ Heavy Lifting #10  
:thumbsup: Good decision Joe! You will live to fight another day. :D