Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter?

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter?
Same here, I had been told to always look for the gasket to be left behind when changing a filter, but had never seen one in person in decades of changing oil... But the first time I changed my main hydraulic filter, the gasket was off the filter and stuck to the housing. Weird!
This post seems to describe exactly the issue that I have (wishful thinking at least)... the filter was not on very tight (I was able to take it off with my bare hands without much struggle, and also it was the "wix" replacement part rather than the NH filter which is built for higher pressure.

I think I found the right HST filter from NH:

Going to order one and try it out.
For posterity, I'll also include the actual CNH filter part here, which I believe is also an acceptable replacement filter.

The two parts I found are:
• $50 NEW HOLLAND AGRICULTURE - Hydraulic Filter - SBA340501030 New Holland SBA340501030 FILTER
• $27 FILTER HYDRAULIC OI - 47671640 (listed as an alternative part on partspring FILTER HYDRAULIC OI)

Any input on which to buy is appreciated. Would love to spend half as much, but happy to buy the expensive one if there's good reason. It does list "W/Internal Bypass" which seems quite helpful for my situation, so I may opt for the expensive one in the short term.

Update: I cleaned, re-seated and re-installed the old oil filter, and no leaks!

Am quite confident the gasket had come loose. Now, the filter is on at least a half turn tighter than it was. New filter is on the way.

Feel free to point me to the best resources for draining and refilling hydraulic oil if you have them.

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #24  
Glad it was just the filter being poorly installed. To deal with the water contamination, I would do a short cycle change of the fluid with something inexpensive like Tractor Supply Premium hydraulic / transmission fluid. Run it for a couple of hours, then drain again and add the fluid of your choice. You're also going to need another set of filters, or maybe when drained the first time remove and drain the filters then reuse them for the short cycle.

REALLY glad that the oil wasn't leaking from that welded area!

Glad it was just the filter being poorly installed. To deal with the water contamination, I would do a short cycle change of the fluid with something inexpensive like Tractor Supply Premium hydraulic / transmission fluid. Run it for a couple of hours, then drain again and add the fluid of your choice. You're also going to need another set of filters, or maybe when drained the first time remove and drain the filters then reuse them for the short cycle.

REALLY glad that the oil wasn't leaking from that welded area!
This sounds like a good solution. I think I'll do that. Thanks!

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #26  
yes a broken seal is a possibility and you are good to remove the filters it won't drain the oil, oil is pump into those filters... the only one you can't do that with is the sump filter, that one will drain the whole systems.
Rockbadchild, I have heard you can put your shop vac hose in where you fill it, and it want drain out. Never had the occasion to try that.

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #27  
Rockbadchild, I have heard you can put your shop vac hose in where you fill it, and it want drain out. Never had the occasion to try that.
I can see it working … I had to changed it once after i already had changed the oil and i can see that working since it would stop and aired in then continuer to flow so by creating a pull from the other direction it would work.

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #28  
If it's a gear drive tractor and dont have wet clutches or wet brakes use the cheapest hyd fluid you can find to flush the system. With that much water in that oil I suspect its going to need at least one dump and fill.

Something else to consider is with that much oil in the system and those repairs being at the bottom of the machine the water could have separated and froze in the winter.

If it's a gear drive tractor and dont have wet clutches or wet brakes use the cheapest hyd fluid you can find to flush the system. With that much water in that oil I suspect its going to need at least one dump and fill.

Something else to consider is with that much oil in the system and those repairs being at the bottom of the machine the water could have separated and froze in the winter.
Thanks!

I purchased the Traveller Universal premium tractor fluid from Tractor Supply.

I'm not yet sure how to check whether I have wet or dry brakes and clutches. Does anybody know for a New Holland TC26DA?

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #30  
I had an automotive spin on filter leave a gasket attached to the block one time 20 some odd years ago. I didn't notice and installed the new one effectively double gasketing. It immediately sprayed oil all over creation with quite a cleanup. Needless to say I check every time now