Heavy wet crap

/ Heavy wet crap #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
I have a tractor with loader and rear mount snowblower and a walk behind snowblower. These past two storms in New England left heavy wet like concret snow.
You cant use a snowblower. You have to clean it up because it will freeze the next night.
Without my loader I am doomed. I do have an ATV with a plow but havent uaed it in 10 years.
My home projects are done so I dont need a tractor anymore...
Except for slushy wet stuff. What do other people do? I cant shovel this cause it will kill me. Im NOT going to buy a plow truck either.

Thank God for loaders.

/ Heavy wet crap
I have a tractor with loader and rear mount snowblower and a walk behind snowblower. These past two storms in New England left heavy wet like concret snow.
You cant use a snowblower. You have to clean it up because it will freeze the next night.
Without my loader I am doomed. I do have an ATV with a plow but havent uaed it in 10 years.
My home projects are done so I dont need a tractor anymore...
Except for slushy wet stuff. What do other people do? I cant shovel this cause it will kill me. Im NOT going to buy a plow truck either.

Thank God for loaders.
I might as well face the facts, as long as I own this home I have to have a tractor.

/ Heavy wet crap #3  
I drop the blower from my tractor and put on a 7' plow. I plow as wide as I can. Every snow storm the plowed area gets narrower, so start wide.

But for the most part, the blower does hte job, just take it slow and max rpm works unless complete slush. Park it inside and let it all melt.

/ Heavy wet crap #4  
Yeah, keep the speed up, lube the bucket and the fan on the blower. There are some good sprays out this just for this purpose, or even pam cooking spray.
Consider a plow or snow pusher for the FEL.
A plow you can angle and push snow to the side, a pusher is really only good in a straight line, but way easier than the bucket on the FEL. Holds more snow and you don't have to tip the bucket to empty, just get to the pile and raise the loader, no bottom on a pusher.

/ Heavy wet crap #5  
Bucket is the best choice. I have a blower on an enclosed skidsteer, and it is a pain to use in wet snow. I have the blower off now and just use the bucket; much quicker and less stressful. I have my tractor as a back up.

Use to plow with a truck until about three years ago. Could clear the main areas of the wet snow quickly, but I would hop into the skidsteer with the bucket almost right away to clean up and push back the banks from the plow before they froze up.

/ Heavy wet crap #6  
We had that yesterday morning,6" of slush at 0oC. Forecast was to drop to -7oC. I waited until noon when the temp dropped to -4oC to clean. I still use the blower but I have to go a lot slower and it takes me 2-3x longer to clear.

Right now it's -9oC and nice and fluffy again. If I could wait until tomorrow morning the temp is forecast to get -17oC, perfect for the snow blower.

I try to avoid cleaning really wet snow because it results in my gravel driveway becoming a skating rink.

/ Heavy wet crap #7  
I have just a very few rules regarding snow.

Snow - I will not plow my mile long gravel driveway unless there is six inches on the ground and its still coming down.

Wet snow - I don't even fool with this stuff. It will simply end up in frustration.

Prime directive - I'm retired. I DO NOT have to be anywhere at any specific time - PERIOD.

/ Heavy wet crap #8  
5 out 6 storm have been heavy wet tractor with loader rear blade done very well,one storm did use pickup with plow.

My outlook we go thru it each year one form or another just got to deal with it.