Hello from NW Indiana

/ Hello from NW Indiana #1  

Sheddiver

Tractor
Branson 3510h, Ford 9n
Just stopping by to say hello. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new Branson 3510h. I've been driving a 1941 ford 9n for about 16 years. This year I've had alot of problems keeping it running. I really needs to be rebuilt and I'm really not up to the time and investment right now. The Branson will be used to mow about 8 acres of pasture and various other chores on our 10 acre farm. I've used the forums on this web site to help me make my final decision. Thanks for all of your input.

/ Hello from NW Indiana #3  
Greetings to the snow belt from fellow Hoosier in SE.

/ Hello from NW Indiana
Glad to meet you. It looks as if you're prepared to move some snow. I realize that you get snow, I just didn't know how much. Up here you just don't know how much,that's due to the lake effect. We had 22" the one day last winter. I kept the drive open using our big atv and a 4' plow on the front. I've been plowing snow at work for the last 35 years mainly using a 3/4ton ford pickup. You learn to improve your plowing skills over the years. It should be a lot easier having a tractor with a front end loader. Do you recommend tire chains?

/ Hello from NW Indiana #5  
We average 25-30 inches a year. Probably about 1/2 of what you get? Have 900 foot hilly gravel lane to clear. Got tire chains 2 years ago after 9 years of frustration on icy hills. Tire chains make a BIG difference. Actually, I've only used the FEL once for snow removal in the 11 years we've lived out here in the boondocks. That was in 2004 when we got a record 20" in one day. That was too much for the front blade. Last year got a rear snow blower. So with the front blade, rear blower, and chains on all 4 wheels I can pretty much handle the situation now (assuming the tractor starts). :)

Tire Chains by TireChains.com

/ Hello from NW Indiana
Thank you for the information on tire chains and the link. We do have a little more snow than that but not much more. Our drive way is only 300' long and pretty level. But I can see that they would help provide traction on the packed snow/ice. When they deliver the tractor later this week, I'll check the size of the R4 tires. Thanks again.

/ Hello from NW Indiana #7  
Shediver, did look anything else?

/ Hello from NW Indiana
I looked at a few actually. John Deere, Kubota, New Holland and Kioti. I was looking for about a 35hp tractor. The first 2 are nice tractors but expensive and to light. New Hollands price was right but it also was light. Maybe I shouldn't base my decision on weight but you have to get the hp to the ground. It was actually down to the Kioti CK35 and the Branson 3510h. I probably would be satisfied with either one. Each had a couple of things in their favor that the other one didn't. The final decision came down to dealer attitude and service.