Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #11  
If everything works and the rubber is good, $2K is not a bad price if you really want that particular tractor. Personally, $1800 would be my pain point for something that old. ON the plus side, it's a gasser so you have an easy-to-work-on carburetor instead of a diesel injection pump which would have to be serviced in a diesel shop when it craps out.

Torque amlifier: another set of tranny gears with another clutch (generally hydraulic and operated by a dash-mounted lever) and on-the-go shifting. Essentially doubles the number of forward and reverse gears. My 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel has something called MultiPower that does the same thing as the IH TA.

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow
Well I told the guy I'm going to do more research on this model and asked for a couple more days, All this information is very helpful keep it coming...thank you

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #13  
I have a Ford N series and it can't hold a candle to the Farmall, which I also have an older version of, the Farmall H. A lot of the steering problems (not all) associated with that vintage tractor had a lot to do with front loaders which they were not designed for. The Ford N tractors had similar problems and changed over the years as well. The biggest problem I have with my Farmall is the lack of a 3 point hitch, Ford hit that nail on the head. If you are doing actual farm work with drawbar and such the farmall is a real good choice, however if you are looking for a utility tractor for general yard and acerage work the Fords are hard to beat especially if you can get a sherman transmision, the standard 4 speed was a little tall in the gears for my liking. If you are looking for diesel I think the early Masseys with the Perkins Diesel are hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents, worth what it cost you.
Good Luck

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #14  
The 300 is not a bad tractor. The lack of 3 pt is the most serious draw back. 8ns have 3 point but are in a different category IMO (they are much lighter). In that same price range and weight class, you may be able to find an 800 series Ford. The hundred series Fords where way ahead of their time.

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #15  
He is looking at a 300 Utility, not the 300 row crop tractor. It does have a 3pt hitch. Here's a low res photo of mine

Attachments

• 300U.jpg
    300U.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 175
   / Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #16  
Maybe its just me, but with the poor gasoline we have today and the short time it takes to go bad and gum up a carb, I would pass on any thing gas powered that is susceptible to setting for 30 or more days at a time. Gasoline that sets over winter for instance, will barely even burn when a match is lit to it and is stinks to high heaven after it sits even for a month or so it is degraded and every batch needs Stabil or some other fuel treatment just to keep the water out but that still doesnt keep it from losing potency, only keeps it from varnishing up your carb.
Look for something less that 60 years old. You wont pay a lot more for a 3000 or 4000 Ford with powersteering and diesel engine.

Regarding that 2400 hours also, I have really serious doubts about that being actual hours even if it sat for the last 30 years, the first 3 or 4 years as a working farm tractor, it would have had more than that. Most farms in the 50's only had one tractor for all activities and they ran 12 hours or more a day for 2-3 months in the spring and summer all the way into fall disking. 12 hour per day x 100 day= 1200 and that is a very conservative number of operating days for a farm tractor.

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow
Thanks for all the great info based on the information here I'm going to pass and continue to shop for a diesel.

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #18  
The steering play is fine although i think one of the steering linkages need to be adjusted because when I took it to about 20 mph the right wheel started to wobble, so I pushed the linkage forward with my foot and it was fine? You think its ok?

if the play's in the steering box.. IE.. sector gear backlash.. it's not as quite an easy fis as an external issue like a worn draglink, etc.

In general, antique gassers don't worry me as to loengevity. i have a barn full of stuff fromthe 40's to 60's everything with a hot battery and gas in it starts when i turn the key or hit the button

it made it this long.. and it looks good. seems to be priced correctly, if in decent condition. a 300 is not a bad machine.. kinda like an updated M.. however low years of manufacturer generally mean reduced parts support for parts that are not common to other machines. I'd still try to get it for less, if you wanted that model specifically.

stiff brake pedal with little travel usually means shoe or band ( depending upon style ) is right at drum or disc. may mean near end of usefull adjustment, unless it's some issue like the pedal is not returning to normal up position due to a spring issue, or a tight bushing.. etc..

Overall.. vs that machine.. I think I'd look for a ford 860 / 861 however.. would be hard to find one in the 1800-2000$ range.. would have to bump to the 2500$ range to get one very likely.

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #19  
I agree on the gas versus diesel issue. No reason to shy away from a gasser. My 8N starts no matter what gas & how long its been there. Key issue is keeping the battery hot. Diesels can be good - they can also be very hard to start in the winter - had a diesel MF 235 in the 90's that took most winters off, while the 8N (gas) and a Ford 4000 (gas) would both fire up and be ready to work if I was silly enough to brave the cold.

'Course with global heating panels in all areas now should get anything to fire up even in a Michigan winter :)

/ Hello gang I'm not sure about this purchase tomorrow #20  
I havent had any problems to date with my gas tractors sitting. I wouldnt rule out gas.