Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #1  

platinumaa

hello all... nice to join a like minded community, i am not much of a tractor guy, but since recently purchasing a little bit of land im in need of a tractor.

In about 2 weeks i am purchasing an r4041 w/ loader.. my question is on the tires.. i am mostly going to be in grassy, sometimes wet, little mud terrain maybe... there are 3 different types of tires they offer.. turf, industrial, or agricultural.. what tire do yall recommend?

i appreciate the help

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #2  
Although I have turfs on my Kubota, I will tell you that by numbers I believe the most common is the industrial. Folks see them as a good compromise between the "easy on the lawn" turfs, and the aggressive ags. Having said that, it really does depend on the main uses you intend for your tractor.​

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #3  
I've had industrials on both my machines (here on the wet Pacific Slope). They are great for not tearing things up too badly... until you lose traction. As long as whatever tread you have is pulling, you won't tear up the ground too much. Once it is too wet or muddy to keep going, and you are running in place or drifting offline, you'll be making a mess of things, whatever tread you have.

For me, I get by most of the time by being very careful to stay away from the places I know might be too wet to hold on. If I think I am getting too close to trouble, I look for the best way out of it, and will use the locking differential, or a downhill escape, if it's available. The ags will keep you moving when the indies will slip, but they are going to make their marks when the indies would not have. If I wasn't on such hilly ground, I might think of having turfs. But turfs would keep me in the shed most of the time around here.

Sliding sideways is the worst. That's when you become just a passenger.

Last edited:
   / Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #4  
hello all... nice to join a like minded community, i am not much of a tractor guy, but since recently purchasing a little bit of land im in need of a tractor.

In about 2 weeks i am purchasing an r4041 w/ loader.. my question is on the tires.. i am mostly going to be in grassy, sometimes wet, little mud terrain maybe... there are 3 different types of tires they offer.. turf, industrial, or agricultural.. what tire do yall recommend?

i appreciate the help

I'm using industrials. I had considered ag tires since I'm doing a lot of land clearing. But I've been impressed so far with the industrials. The traction is more than sufficient for everything I need and does little damage to the lawn.

I've spun tires a couple times but they were trying to move things like stumps that were NOT going to move regardless of the tires I had.

One caveat though; I have very sandy soil since I'm just a couple miles form the shoreline so that probably makes a difference. Not sure what your soils like.

Second caveat... the dealer filled the tires before delivering it and that helps the traction a great deal too.

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #5  
I am using Industrials and most of my work is mowing and clearing brush and small trees with the rotary cutter. My soil is black clay (gumbo) and I do my best to avoid operating when it is wet. Firstly, the grass/weeds are harder to mow when too wet and secondly the ground gets much slicker when moderately wet.

I am not worried about tearing up a lawn, but don't want big ruts in my "pasture" as they make for a rough ride when they dry out.

My dealer recommended the industrials primarily because they are more puncture resistant than the other treads and I am driving over a lot of cut 1-2" stumps and thorny bushes and vines. So far, knock wood, I have been quite blessed and have had no flats or leaks in my tires.

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #6  
Like Kevin said, it all depends what you intend to use your tractor for. I have ag tires, because I just use my tractor to brush mow on bottom ground and put in food plots for deer. The ground can be a little wet some time and the ag tires really dig in.They also work better if the ground is wet and you are going up hills and you have a heavy load in your loader bucket, you wont slide sideways and have better steering control.

If you plan on mowing your lawn and maybe brush hogging, the industrial tires are probily the best for all around use.

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #7  
Industrial tires are designed so that you can use them on concrete/asphalt and they won't wear too bad. They also give so/so traction in dirt and don't dig the ground up as much if your in your yard. If your going to go to the woods, do field work, etc. then ag tires are best but industrial will work OK too. Ag tires are a lot better in snow than industrial.

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #8  
I have industrial on my Ls. They work fairly good in our gravel pit..I especially like the fact that when the wheels do spin they dont create a 2 foot deep hole in one rotation..I do have a lot of snowblowing to do in the winter so i am hoping they work well in the snow..

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #9  
Ok Ill be the only poster here with Ag tires. I got them because I have a dam to mow and some swampy bottom areas (insert joke here). I was concerned about tearing up the yard but because of the traction I just don't slip and therefore have not torn my yard at all. Now bear in mind it has been dry. I have yet to go ripping around the yard in a rainstorm but I really like the traction they give. My buddy has the same kind of ground with Industrials and loses traction more often. Seeing that you are getting the 4041 I am guessing you will have a fair amount of tough work you'll be asking of it so I would consider the ag tires if you have:
a) inclines
b) wet areas
c) other vehicles you may have to pull out
d) a tougher type of workload

/ Hello.. newbie here. with a basic question #10  
Indies are crappy in the snow on anything except level ground. I wish I had chains for the rears. Chaining up the fronts helps, but not enough for slopes.