Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff...

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
No I am not looking for a few of you to come over and clean.... Although I could use the help.:D

I brush hogged about 15 acres of weeds. Most were pretty tall and seemed to be the type that are thorny. Normally these would be low to the ground, but these grew tall and went to seed. Almost like a dandilion top with a small picker like green bottom....

Anyway, this stuff left a dark tan grease film all over the front of the tractor and the hog. Anything it touched is now a thick nasty glue like film. Simple grean does not touch it. I scrubbed it with a wash mit, and have since been unable to get my mit back to normal. It like its glued together.

Anyone have a similar experience or have an idea on what to use to get this off and not hurt the finish of the tractor?

Thanks

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #2  
pressure washer and detergent, or a sandblaster.

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #3  
I would just go with a commercial bug and tar remover. Those are safe for the paint and safe for you (as compared to gasoline, etc). Most of them remove sap. I have used Turtle Wax with good results:
Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar Remover

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff...
Mr. Green Jeans said:
I would just go with a commercial bug and tar remover. Those are safe for the paint and safe for you (as compared to gasoline, etc). Most of them remove sap. I have used Turtle Wax with good results:
Turtle Wax - Bug & Tar Remover

Thank you very much.... That sounds like a great idea!!!!!

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #5  
nmu98 said:
No I am not looking for a few of you to come over and clean.... Although I could use the help.:D

I brush hogged about 15 acres of weeds. Most were pretty tall and seemed to be the type that are thorny. Normally these would be low to the ground, but these grew tall and went to seed. Almost like a dandilion top with a small picker like green bottom....

Anyway, this stuff left a dark tan grease film all over the front of the tractor and the hog. Anything it touched is now a thick nasty glue like film. Simple grean does not touch it. I scrubbed it with a wash mit, and have since been unable to get my mit back to normal. It like its glued together.

Anyone have a similar experience or have an idea on what to use to get this off and not hurt the finish of the tractor?

Thanks

Where are you located?

Because certain weeds sap can cause blistering of the skin and permanent scarring...

If you are Down under..this might apply to you...;)
http://search.aol.com/aol/redir?src...dItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #6  
Gasoline will get it off :eek:

I didn't suggest doing that by the way.

/ Help Cleaning off this weed "grease" or glue like stuff... #7  
From experience, I know what you mean. The longer you let it on your equipment the tougher it is to remove. Pressure washer usually does an adequate job on mine but the washer is commercial grade (very high psi and high volume). A smaller washer will probably work -- just take a little longer.