Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #1  

barngal

Tractor
John Deere 870, Craftsman 24HP garden tractor
I'm hoping there is something I can do to get my clutch working. I have a JD 870 compact tractor.

I just replaced the 4 main hoses to my loader (for up, down, and tilting the bucket). One hose was leaking and they were all old so I replaced them.
Since then, my clutch isn't working. When the tractor is off, I can easily shift all into all 3 gears and reverse. Once the tractor is running, it is very difficult to shift into gear, and even with the clutch fully depressed the tractor moves once its in gear (I turn the key off to make it stop). It shifts into reverse more easily than into first. The bucket, 3 point hitch lift and rear pto are all working normally. I did have to replace quite a bit of hydraulic fluid after changing the hoses.

I'm hoping the clutch problem is related to changing the hoses and that there is an easy solution? I don't understand how the hydraulics work the clutch, but I thought maybe somehow the clutch line needed to be primed or get rid of air. I've already tried operating the bucket and the rear hitch a LOT, and operating the pto for extended period also. Also operating the clutch at least a hundred times, both when the tractor is off, when it is running and in neutral, and when it is running and in gear.

Anything else I can try, or do? Its mowing season, of course...

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #2  
I worked on a 1070 while back. The clutch disc was stuck on the flywheel after sitting. Your symtoms suggest the same thing. First thing to do is check that the linkage is in fact working. That means you'll need someone on the machine working the clutch. If that looks good, then the clutch plate is stuck. On the 1070 there was a inspection hole (I believe on right side). With helper depressing clutch, I pried disk from flywheel. Helper then bumped engine and I did it again. When I say pry, I mean lightly. I once had a international 464 do the same thing. No way to get to that clutch. Had to split that machine. When I did, removed the pressure plate, and popped the stuck clutch with my finger.

PS One thing you could try is to drive the machine in a high gear, depress clutch and apply brakes hard. I never had luck like that, but some say it works.

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses
You're right, it had been sitting. Years ago after a very cold winter (for California) the clutch was frozen, i couldn't depress it. I could get it into gear; but it wasn't stopping the travel, same as now. At that time it finally let loose while driving. This time it is hard to get into gear and I can only manage 1st and reverse. Kept in low gear because the key was the only way to slow it down.
I can't put into 2nd or 3rd but I can put it in a faster gear. I'll try a big field and see what happens. I'd hate to break it, I think last time they said I might have to split the machine to fix it.
Thanks, I think you've pointed me in the right direction.

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #4  
That has happened to my Ford 841 twice, at least, in the 24 years I have owned it.

Put it in gear, have some one on the tractor pushing the clutch in, and pull the tractor with a truck.

Try it first in a low gear, and if that doesn't work try higher gears.

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #5  
I did the same as TimBuck2 did. It was on my JD 850. That did the trick.
Now when I won't be using the tractor for a couple of months, I depress the clutch in fully and wedge a stick in there to hold it down.
Never a problem since. (My 850 is a 1988 and happen twice before after a long sit)

/ Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #6  
barngal
You started two threads asking this question and looking for help. Have responded to the other thread and wondering if my response was of any help.
Best to only start one thread or check both of them.

It is not a hydraulics problem. The clutch is only mechanically operated.

If it is stuck together, you may want to try hooking up to something very hard to pull... ground-engaging attachment or heavy log. Then when pulling, operate the clutch to see if the load will break it loose.
But first, be sure the linkage is adjusted to specs. (see other thread)

Last edited:
   / Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #7  
beenthere, your advice is to start the tractor in gear while it is trying to pull a heavy load?

Pulling the tractor with a truck and pushing the clutch pedal in, repeatedly and vigourously if needed usually works fine.

Doing it that way is going to be safer and easier for a lot of reasons.

If it is really stuck, I could see needing more torque (i.e., with the engine running) but that presents two safety issues.

1. In order for it to start, there will need to be slack in the chain between the tractor and the load. The tractor will presumably be moving slow but more chance for things to break when the end of the slack is reached.

2. If the clutch doesn't disengage, there is a chance the tractor could flip over backward. So if you attept that barngirl, make sure the load is moveable and the chain is attached to the tractor blow the rear axle.

Last edited:
   / Help--clutch not working after replacing hydraulic hoses #8  
TimBuck2
You are correct, and pulling would be a much, much better way to break the clutch loose. Thanks for the catch..

I was thinking ground-engaging like a toothed harrow or plow that could be lowered into the ground. Like your pulling idea better.