HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT #11  
If it was me I would start with a spreadsheet of all the tasks I need to get accomplished and maybe include things like heaviest load I will need to lift - time I need to accomplish each task, etc. The thing with a tractor is that there are usually multiple ways to accomplish the same job - although there is usually a "best" way to do each one, although that "best" way might not always be the cheapest.

For instance if you have to move dirt you can use a FEL, or you can drag it with a boxblade, or you can use a dirt scoop on the 3pt. Using the FEL is the best way because it is fastest and allows you to pile the dirt higher, etc.

Digging a shallow trench to bury a phone line? Using the trench digger like the utilities do is probably the "best" way and fastest - but using a backhoe comes in a close second and the backhoe is much more versatile overall.

If you came up with a comprehensive list of all your tasks you might better be able to make a tractor match. For instance if you had to lift hay bales and those round bales weigh in at 1000 pounds then you could rule out any tractor that did not have a FEL capacity of at least 1000 pounds.

Are you going to be swapping between say a backhoe and 3pt implements the quick backhoe changeout should be high on the list. This again will narrow down your tractor choices.

I think just comparing features with no knowledge of what you need to get done is going to drive you nuts. Since this is a business you are going to want to get tasks accomplished quickly and efficiently - knowing what those are will go a long way towards getting the right fit for a tractor.

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Finally, here are the categories I'm working with so far:

Type of Motor (aspiration or turbo)
Displacement
Engine Horse Power
PTO Horse Power
Transmission Type (HST etc.)
Implement Hydraulic pump flow
Steering Hydraulic pump flow
Hydraulics Operation (this is subjective to how the "felt" to me)
Torque Stats across RPM ranges
Fuel Tank Capacity
Noise Level (having a hard time finding these numbers for all models)
Hitch Capacity (all measurements will be from 24" behind ball eyes)
Loader Capacity (all measurements will be 19" forward)
Tire type (will all be the same but I left it in anyway)
Warranty (standard warranty figures will be used, not extended)
Weight
Color and Style (subjective to what I find attractive)
Ergonomics (subjective to how comfortable I felt in the tractor)
Online User Feedback (I've scoured these forums for feedback)
Quoted Price ** (as of now, this will carry double the weight of all other categories)
Financing Terms (I will likely finance for 5 years, so I'll compare 5 yr rates)

Dealer rating categories:

Willingness to serve
Promptness with feedback (returning calls etc.)
Customer feedback )</font>

Here's a few more that SHOULD count double.

1)Resale value. What if you should need to sale or want to sale to buy something different (bigger/smaller)?

2)Parts availability and timeliness. Will parts be available in 10 years?

3)Dealer's longevity. How long have they been in business?

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT
Thanks for all the replies so far. When I get this thing done, I will definitely send a copy to those that have requested one.

JimMorrisey,

I hadn't considered a TLB. Your machine looks pretty impressive. Can I get one in the mid 20,000 range? I was hoping to stay right around 20 but my needs are putting me above that by a fair amount. I will have to add the cab in a year or two because I want to get the beefiest tractor I can afford right now. One of my critreia is that a cab is available that will work with the hoe.

Murph,

Your point is well taken. However, I'm a detail guy and this is something I need to do to feel as though I'm making the right choice. I agree that most differences are minute but since I'm new to all this, the comparison will help with my peice of mind. When I have my choices narrowed down, I will take your advice and start making the rounds to the dealers. I've already been in contact with a few gathering information and the difference in responsiveness is apparent. Some of these guys are real pros and others are indifferent about helping me. It's already making my dealer choices pretty easy.

Kyle,

We can't use the tractor to clean stalls. Even a much smaller one wouldn't be very efficient. A gator might be useful down the line but for now, we're just using a wheelbarrow. Those were some good suggestions and I'm adding them to the spreadsheet.

Jim_Wilson,

We've owned the farm for a few months and know how things will work day to day. We created a detailed plan for expanding the business and that's when I realized my tractor needed upgrading. Discussing my plans and needs (present and future) with the local dealers is what put me in the right HP range so I'm not just blindly comparing tractors with no idea what I'm looking for. I'm comparing a specific HP range of machines that are and can be set up for what I need. Hopefully, I'll identify the "best" machine for me within that range based on all the research.

Thanks again to all for the replies.

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT #14  
Oak,

You'll be in for a bit over 35K. But the machine will last indefinitely. You can make some kind of cab because the frame is existing. Curtis will likely come out with a soft cab in the near future for it. -Worth every dime......

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT #15  
can also have a custom made cab. I had this done last winter,, Metal frame holding huge windshield and metal framed glass on each side between fender and ROPS cap. The doors are light canvas with clear plastic windows that snap in, each side and over the hoe levers in rear,, Not the fanciest, however, living on a huge reservoir with usually high winds, blowing/drifting snow, and this cab is wonderful. I did not put heat to the "cab"

/ HELP! Creating Comparison System to buy CUT #16  
As an engineer I am very familiar with the "trade study" you have created. However you are missing step #1 - REQUIREMENTS.

List out your requirements, and any machine that meets all is a conteder, the cheapest one "wins" but then you need to decide if you want to spend more for a different machine because it is more comfortable or the dealer is closer etc... This is as much a personal decision as it is a business one.

Loader lifts round bale XXX#s
Y PTO HP to run 6' cutter
Backhoe capable of Z ft digging depth
quick attach bucket to swap for grapple (brush clearing)
X Transmission (pick which you prefer, you can't "score" these, it is apples to oranges...)
you get the idea...

I think you are looking at the right range IE 40-50HP.

PS - safety police alert - who cares how loud it is, you should be wearing ear protection /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif