Help. Dunham cultipacker

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #1  

Super_64

Tractor
Kubota 4700
Trying to get grandpas old cultipacker back up and running for deer plots etc. some time ago the end cap i guess whats called a “grease cap” came off and has rendered it essentially useless. Anybody got any ideas on how i can fix it? Ive briefly scoured the internet for a replacement part but havent found one yet. Any halfa@@ fix to get it running would be appreciated it. It’s a 6-7 foot Dunham. Picture will be attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
   / Help. Dunham cultipacker
Thanks! Ive recently been seeing that talked about a lot but wasn’t sure how to apply it to my problem of missing the cap. Speak to me like a child, so that bearing would be greased up and shoved in place of where the end cap is? Then I would operate with no end cap just maybe hit that wood bearing with grease every so often?

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #4  
Still need to put a cap on it to hold in but you can make that or they might sell cap also

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #5  
I would try and make a replacement wood sleeve bearing and slide it into the steel housing. You could turn the outside diameter on a lathe and drill the inside diameter.

I’ve fixed up several old cultipackers that were of a simplified end bracket design, using pressure treated pine 4x4 with cross drilled holes, about 1/8 inch larger than the shaft diameter. Those last for many years of food plot usage, and never even need grease.

I’d probably use white oak to make the sleeve bearings for the style end caps that your Dunham has. Those should last quite a few years and would turn better on a lathe than pressure treated pine.

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

One of my neighbors dragged this 8 footer out by the road a few years ago. I paid them $ 40 for it. The frame and several wheels were broken, and the bearings were gone.

It took me about (2) hours to repair the frame, take off the broken wheels, make some new wood bearings and steel spacers, and make it into a serviceable 7 footer.

I have another one just like it that I’ve used for the last 20 or so years. I traded another neighbor a case of beer for that one, which was in similar condition when I hauled it home.

When it comes to food plotting, there really is no good substitute for these old cultipackers. I’ve tried dragging logs, railroad ties, bed springs, packing with smooth lawn rollers, and/or atv tires. With that stuff, seed germination is never close to that which I get with those old cultipackers.

It was always a pain transporting my cultipacker between our (2) farms, about 20 miles apart, so I ended up using that other garbage most of the time. Now, I don’t have to anymore, because I’ve got a 7 footer at each spot.

I’ve also fixed up a couple of 4 footers that I’ve sold to folks to use with their atv’s.

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #6  
Trying to get grandpas old cultipacker back up and running for deer plots etc. some time ago the end cap i guess whats called a “grease cap” came off and has rendered it essentially useless. Anybody got any ideas on how i can fix it? Ive briefly scoured the internet for a replacement part but havent found one yet. Any halfa@@ fix to get it running would be appreciated it. It’s a 6-7 foot Dunham. Picture will be attached
I would give sweet farm equipment a try. They carry wooden packer bearings. But wolc 123's fix looks good too.

These old pulverizers were over-built and well built. I have a single roller McCormick deering I believe. It was my grand dads, then my dads now mine. Used it last year to roll in my rye grass and clover seed plantation.

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #7  
Dunham-Lehr was bought out by Farmhand, then in turn bought by AGCO. There is an old school dealer in Coldwater, Ohio that may be able to help you: The Coldwater Implement Co. If the same fellow is there that worked the parts counter that was there 5-6 years ago he may be able to at least point you in the right direction. He found and had in stock parts for my late 60's early 70's vintage New Idea manure spreader.

I went to the AGCO site and did find a Series 40 culti-packer but they used what looks to be an open self-aligning bearing on those. https://parts.agcocorp.com/us/en/apbsearch?q=farmhand/79018255/l&c=00-00&name=SERIES 40 CULTIPACKER

To get the correct bearing and cap I'd posts a free "want to buy" ad @ Tractorhouse: TractorHouse.com | New & Used Farm Equipment For Sale At the top of the page, look top right to see it in the menu. I don't know if the end caps and bearings are the same on both gangs but there should be a part number cast into it. You'll need that part number for that search. There are a lot of salvage yards and individuals connected to Tractorhouse, so there are a lot of items out there not listed on that page. Giving the part number and a good description is the key. You may even try getting the part number off the opposite end, then go to Google and enter that number. Ebay is another good source to try.

There are a ton of good used one's for sale at Tractorhouse : Pardon Our Interruption There has to be some for parts out back in the rust row.

I've seen a few setting in the weeds at salvage yards over the years when we go on our Black Friday run looking for tractor parts. One end might be cracked/broken where a PO has barked a tree, rock, or other piece of equipment but the other end is fine. Or just may have outlived its usefulness when someone changed their means of tillage.

You'll need to register and leave contact info to weed out spammers. But you'll usually get a response within 24 hrs. I have found more than several good used parts using this search. It only takes about 10 minutes to fill out the form and register. Might be worth a shot.

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #8  
Here are my two “rebuilt” 7 footers in action last fall, pressing in wheat/white clover and turnip plots:
IMG_3261.jpeg

IMG_3094.jpeg

/ Help. Dunham cultipacker #9  
I’m actually out hunting turkeys on that wheat plot right now (for about 10 more minutes, then I got to go to work).
IMG_4391.jpeg