Oil & Fuel Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425 #1  

NC1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power-Trac PT1460
My son and I went to move a trailer with our PT yesterday and it was running poorly, seemed to be running rich, after a few minutes at idle she died and would not restart I took the air filter off and it was soaked in oil. She started fine with the air filter off but we could see oil coming out of the breather tube which would be why it seemed to be running rich. Checked the oil and it was over full and smelled like gas.

I am guessing that the float needle is stuck but wanted to check with you guys. Anyone had this happen to them?
Any guidence would be appreciated.

We have only been using it every 4-6 weeks, always non ethanol gas.

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425 #2  
If the needle sticks it's more likely to stick closed. Check for free movement of the float itself or whether it has a pinhole leak allowing it to fill with fuel and sink.

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425 #3  
My son and I went to move a trailer with our PT yesterday and it was running poorly, seemed to be running rich, after a few minutes at idle she died and would not restart I took the air filter off and it was soaked in oil. She started fine with the air filter off but we could see oil coming out of the breather tube which would be why it seemed to be running rich. Checked the oil and it was over full and smelled like gas.

I am guessing that the float needle is stuck but wanted to check with you guys. Anyone had this happen to them?
Any guidence would be appreciated.

We have only been using it every 4-6 weeks, always non ethanol gas.

There are several threads on this exact subject here in the PT forums. First thing is to make sure you have a fuel shutoff valve installed in your fuel line and use it every time you shut down the tractor. Close the valve and let the machine run for 5-10 seconds, then shut it off. Just remember to open it before you start up again. :laughing:

Hopefully someone with the same problem will chime in.

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425 #4  
If I remember correctly a couple people reporting this problem found that their vacuum operated fuel pump was broken, basically sucking gas through the vacuum tube. Pop the vacuum tube off the fuel pump, it should not smell like gas. You could also convert that tube to a clear one and watch for the problem in real time. Alternatively, just replace the pump I don't think it is too expensive.

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425
If I remember correctly a couple people reporting this problem found that their vacuum operated fuel pump was broken, basically sucking gas through the vacuum tube. Pop the vacuum tube off the fuel pump, it should not smell like gas. You could also convert that tube to a clear one and watch for the problem in real time. Alternatively, just replace the pump I don't think it is too expensive.

Thanks, I'll check that today

/ Help,Gas getting in my oil! 25hp Robin PT425
I changed the oil & filter, replaced the fuel pump, and added a fuel shutoff valve. She is running great, I'll keep an eye on the oil level.
Thanks for all of the advice.