Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!!

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #1  
Tractor
MF 596 FEL
Hi,
I'm new to farmiing-- lets get that out of the way!
But I seem to be getting more conflicting advice than I know what to do with!

I'm trying to get a 40 acre field of goldenrod and other weeds (some timothy and clover but not much) back into hay. I just bought the land and my tractor MF 596, and a 7 foot brushhog and just finished mowing down the weeds to about 10 inches. Found only one rock with my FEL in the entire field of weeds. I want to plow and disc it and use glycosolate to kill off the goldenrod and other weeds. I just went to a big tractor dealer locally who deals in new and used equipment, and he told me he has no 4 bottom plows used for sale--- and they are hard to come by. He also told me a 14 foot disc would cost me about 15 grand new!! (sticker shock for me-- or call it ignorance of implement prices). Anyways, I look on Tractorhouse.com and I see a John Deere 105 10 foot ofset disc with discs in the front and looks like circular tines in the rear on a second axel for $3495. It's down south so lets say it costs $500 t ship to me--
Bottom line: is it unreasonable to expect to find a used 10 foot disker for this price-- when the new one the dealer is showing me is 15 grand!!
What am I missing?:confused:

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #2  
A quick search of craigslist shows 2 10ft discs within 60 miles of my house. 1 for $200 (needs some repair) and the other for $600.00 good shape.

I have seen a few withing 10 miles of me, over the past 2 years, but I don't pay any attention as they are too big for my needs.

10ft IH disc

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #3  
You can do better on that price and shop for a good used one ... keep looking, be patient and you will find what you need.

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #4  
Hi,

I'm trying to get a 40 acre field of goldenrod and other weeds (some timothy and clover but not much) back into hay. I just bought the land and my tractor MF 596, and a 7 foot brushhog and just finished mowing down the weeds to about 10 inches. Found only one rock with my FEL in the entire field of weeds. I want to plow and disc it and use glycosolate to kill off the goldenrod and other weeds. I just went to a big tractor dealer locally who deals in new and used equipment, and he told me he has no 4 bottom plows used for sale--- and they are hard to come by. He also told me a 14 foot disc would cost me about 15 grand new!! (sticker shock for me-- or call it ignorance of implement prices). Anyways, I look on Tractorhouse.com and I see a John Deere 105 10 foot ofset disc with discs in the front and looks like circular tines in the rear on a second axel for $3495. It's down south so lets say it costs $500 t ship to me--
Bottom line: is it unreasonable to expect to find a used 10 foot disker for this price-- when the new one the dealer is showing me is 15 grand!!
I Googled this and did not find anything on weed killing. I am curious now, can you shed any light on this? All it seemed to have was a relationship to sugar. As far as the implements, look around, craigslist, ebay, where ever and educate yourself before going to a dealer. Talk to some farmers in the area. I picked up a 10' finishing disc a few years back for $650. Sold it a few years later for the same money.

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #6  
I believe he meant glyphosate, tradename Roundup, but now available in generic brands.

PH

Last edited:
   / Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #7  
new is new.. used is cheaper usually.

a new 15' jd batwing can cost 12-15 grand.

my used jd batwinf mwer cost me 2 grand

i imagine a big rusty old disc vs a new shiney one is going to be similar. ie.. cheaper used..

soundguy

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #8  
Hi,

Keep looking. My tractor dealer took in a 13-ft tandem wheel disk (an old Minneapolis Moline KA-1300 made by Krause). Sold it to me for $600 including delivery. Fixed one axle bearing, new seals on the hydraulic ram and repaint.

I only have 6-acre hayfield that I plow with a 7-ft offset disc that was a gift from a neighbor. A few new pans on the ends of the axles, new grease fittings and four 120lb concrete weights.

My tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height).

The implements you are looking for are out there. Check the websites for local tractor dealers.

Good luck.

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!!
Magicheater, -sorry, reeses4300 and PossumHound are right-- I meant the generic for Roundup--glyphosate.
As to the rest of the responses, thanks!! I don't know whether the dealer was trying to play me for a sucker or not-- but it was not a happy afternoon-- you guys have been a real relief.
A couple other questions:
There's a big auction coming up in NY in about a week (the biggest auction of used farm equipment in NY) which takes place right after the Empire Days Farm Show-- I'll be looking there for a good disc and plow--
--Can you guys give me any pointers on what to look for in the used equipment so I have less repairing to do? I'm guessing these discs have bearings and seals-- and a hydralic ram to lift it with the 3pt lift-- is this correct??
What else should I be looking for so I won't end up with a costly piece of junk iron?
thanks,
Bob

/ Help! going nuts with conflicting advice!! #10  
If you don't want conflicting advise, get advise from only one person, and don't ask him the same question more than once!