Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ???

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #21  
With half a bearing missing already what info do you think a compression test would give? You already know the test will come up short on compression and there really would be no way to calculate for a bent rod and or a missing bearing to figure out if the results show anything else.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #22  
Back around 1960 we had a Case 400, about 54 PTO HP, that started knocking during planting season. Tore the pan off and found a rod bearing like the better of the 2 you show in your videos. Since it was planting season and couldn't afford Dow time, it was slap a new bearing set in and run. Got through planting season and forgot about the problem. One afternoon I was disking, very bored, half asleep, when the rod bolts snapped and the drank hammered the rod through the side of the block. Talk about a wake-up call when that thing started hammering. Dad and I ended up replacing the sleeve, piston, rod etc. we found a guy who would come out and grind the crank in the tractor. The engine had a compression release so it turned easily. I liked how the grinding device would grind the rod journal with the journal rotating in a circle 5 inches in diameter off the center of the crankshaft rotation. While he was going that I made a 3/16" sheet metal plate formed to the curve of the block, cut a gasket to match, and bolted it in place. The tractor is still running for one of our neighbors, engine never been touched after that repair. The bottom bearing shell looked like the bad one in your pics when I found it on the ground where the failure occurred. We figured it must have had a factory defect because we checked bearing clearance on the other 3 using Plastic-Gauge and they all checked perfect.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #23  
Sorry guys. totally missed the two videos some how like three times. Yea compression test would be a waste. Looks like time for a total rebuild. Mag the head. Get the rods resized if you can. Get crank checked and turned if its worth using. I would bet it would be cheaper to buy a engine in running condition really. Ebay and tractor junk yards will be your friend!

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ???
Hey Chris that is pretty impressive that you took that engine apart. Just was wandering if you are a diesel mechanic or how you learned to do that?

In a pasted much younger life, I was a auto mechanic, not much def in deisels other that parts cost 1000% more and with deisels it seems very hard to use the ears to hear things like engine knocks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm going to get the crack turned 0.030 under hone out the cylinders and replace the bearings and rings, head gasket, oil pump and call it good. Oh also going to get the missing orings for the injectors so they dont ride the piston each time they fire. Will add video as i get going on it again here in the next wee,.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #26  
,,,,Rod ?

Yes, for sure a rod.. Sorry I am old got the postit note up now. Lol

Thanks.