Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ???

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ???
Thanks for all the input Everyone. the fuel tank was cleaned along with the injectors and New fuel added. Bad Fuel was my first thoughts. It is also over heating and losing coolant so this is also a sign to me that it might be a blown head gasket. I have completely removed the injectors and cleaned both using the good old tooth pick method. I'm going to pull the value cover and see if I have .006 clearance and check the push rods and value. If all checks out my next step is to pull the head and have it inspected and then put it back on with new gasket. I had a boat years back with a Yanmar motor that had a blown head gasket , it was doing almost the same thing. This one also after running under load totally shuts down 10 minutes in which kind of confuses me a bit because I don't think its equipped with a shut down sensor for over heating and no the dummy lights aren't working. It did set for 3 years before I got it. The Injectors were totally covered in carbon before cleaning.

Thanks
CS

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #12  
Well, the over heating and losing coolant sort of put the nail in the coffin of the gasket. It sounds like you're doing all the right things otherwise. If it's overheating...stop running it.

I have stopped running it , in the video I had just cleaned / flushed and filled the radiator to see if it would still blown the coolant out and it did but a a lot slower pace than when I first got it started.

Does any one know what these are worth, I don't want to put more money it in than it is worth so far only about 50 bucks invest in repairs.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
   / Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #15  
That's too bad. Sorry to see an old workhorse like that in such bad shape.
Dave

I hope to get her going again, but its going to be a cost out first. Other wise someone might pick her up for salvage or I might just part her out on ebay if need be.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #17  
Could be a combo of a bent rod do to water getting into the combustion chamber and hydro locking. I would def do a compression test.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #18  
Could be a combo of a bent rod do to water getting into the combustion chamber and hydro locking. I would def do a compression test.
I would def not do a compression test. You have a gasket problem or a crack ... among the secondary issues.
larry

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #19  
Hey Chris that is pretty impressive that you took that engine apart. Just was wandering if you are a diesel mechanic or how you learned to do that?

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #20  
I would def not do a compression test. You have a gasket problem or a crack ... among the secondary issues.
larry
Why not? What would hit hurt to do one? It can't hurt anything. Why would you not do one? Please, school me on this. If one cyl is down on compression this would be the time to measure how far the pistons are in the hole to figure out if there are more problems from the cracked head or cyl wall etc. A quick compression test could pin point the cyl hurt or loss of compression on one of the holes