Buying Advice HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #1  

geoffburnham

Hi everyone and thanks for taking a moment to read this. I have a situation where I would value your thoughts.. I currently have a Kubota B1750 that is not built for a backhoe.. I know I could install a 3pt Woods aftermarket one but I didn't want to risk stressing the frame. Sooo I now find myself trying to make a decision between purchasing a new Kubota B2620 with a 26 hp engine and a factory installed backhoe and FEL for about $23,100.. vs purchasing a used B7500 with a Curtis cab with heat, and Woods backhoe and FEL for $14k...Mechanically, the used one is reportedly in excellent condition but needs some paint work... Kubota is offering 60 months interest free financing but requires a supplemental insurance policy for an additional $1300 for the 60 month term, unless your homeowners covers all the same potential issues, like flood and wind damage, which the dealer said is unlikely. My trade in for my Kubota would decrease the total cost of the new Kubota by reducing the sales tax and I would have a warranty on the new one but not likely on the used one. ,,on the other hand buying the used one I would not incur any sales tax or required insurance....presuming the used one is in as good mechanical condition as the seller says it is, ( will be test driving it tomorrow) does anyone have any thoughts on which transaction is best and why? Lots of variables to consider... thanks for any suggestions...have to make a decision this weekend!!! HELP!!!

geoff

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #2  
I couldn't answer this without knowing the year and hours on the used machine. I would be skeptical of anyone givng an answer without that information.
I'm a new equipment buyer and usually lean toward new and there are others on here that are always used buyers. We each have our reasons and opinions for our purchases.
The difference in price if the used is almost new and under 300 hours would maybe persuade me to go used.:)

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations
Good point and thanks for mentioning it.. an oversite on my part.. the B7500 has 600 hrs on it.. I think it was made in 2000- 2003 but can't swear to it... thanks again

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #4  
If the tractor is truly in excellent condition, I don't consider 600 hours a lot. I bought a 2003 L5030 HSTC with 735 hours and have been very happy with it.

I buy both new and used depending on the situation. If I was a rich, retired former government employee like oh say John, I would only buy new.:laughing::laughing:

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #5  
If you are only using your tractor on your personal property then I would check with your homeowners insurance agent. Unless Kubota has recently changed its policies homeowners insurance has met their requirements for financing in the past. Many of us have done it that way. Do note that your homeowners insurance is only good when the tractor is on your property though.

MarkV

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations
I did check with my homeowners insurance and they said what I expected, that the do cover most of the risks that Kubota requires but not all of them, including Flooding.. I have the actual disclosure form from Kubota that the insurance would have to testify that they cover and that includes Wind, tip over, damage ON AND OFF the home property ( regardless if you say you never take it off the property) and a couple others that I have never seen a homeowner's policy cover, just to insure that they get the business.. I mean after all, how many times are they ( Kubota ) likely to have to pay a claim due to wind damage or hail?
Anyway, after considering I would lose the cost of the sales tax, plus the cost of the insurance, plus the cost of the depreciation-- all the second the ink dried on the contract, which amounted to some $8-9K, never to recover those costs again, I have decided that if the used one is in as good a shape as it supposed to be, then i will get that one.... will keep you posted for those of you who are interested...

thanks for your good suggestions and advice...

Geoff

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #7  
I bought a used B7500 last year and have been very happy with its performance . I have used it to plow snow , till the garden , mow the lawn , and lot of other activities . So far it has been a versatile machine .

Good luck in your search .

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #8  
I'm a little confused. You say buying used would mean you wouldn't require insurance, does that mean you have the $14k in cash? If so were you planning on using that money as a down payment on the B2620? I would check with your homeowners insurance. Insurance through Kubota was too pricey for me. I was able to get an inland Marine policy that allowed me to set the limit on how much they would pay for $5 per insured $1000 per year.

What type of person are you? Do you plan on buying a tractor to do work with or are you a little more like me. I bought with the plan on owning it for a very long time. I may even wax the tractor, not to make it shine but to protect it. Buying used means the person before you got to decide who the 50 hr service was done, whether or not it spent days or years outside, things like that.

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #9  
I have never bought a new car. I shop and shop and shop until I find one that is lightly used but has a price much lower than new. I check everything on it, and frequently take it to a mechanic for a full inspection before putting down the money. I would go check out the used tractor, even take it to a Kubota dealer and pay to have it inspected. If it is in good condition, I would certainly go with the used one.

The weekend is half over. Let us know how it turns out.

/ HELP!!!looking for your opinion/recommendations #10  
I couldn't answer this without knowing the year and hours on the used machine. I would be skeptical of anyone givng an answer without that information.
I'm a new equipment buyer and usually lean toward new and there are others on here that are always used buyers. We each have our reasons and opinions for our purchases.
The difference in price if the used is almost new and under 300 hours would maybe persuade me to go used.:)

I have never bought a new car. I shop and shop and shop until I find one that is lightly used but has a price much lower than new. I check everything on it, and frequently take it to a mechanic for a full inspection before putting down the money. I would go check out the used tractor, even take it to a Kubota dealer and pay to have it inspected. If it is in good condition, I would certainly go with the used one.

The weekend is half over. Let us know how it turns out.
Ying and Yang but he does have some good ideas and reasoning. Don't fault him.:D:thumbsup::D