Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!!

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #1  

stathamj

Tractor
None
Trying to find out what some of the more experianced operators think. I found an older D4c that the undercarriage was in good shape. But,it did have worn blade pins and holes(Where the blade attaches to the blade frame and dozer frame) and grouser pads(30%). This dozer weighs around 11k lbs. But, probably more, as it has Orops and sweeps. So, maybe 12.5K. I have also found several track loaders in the same price range and wonder if they might be better overall for me. There is a Case 455c and 855D. There was a JD555G and lastly a Komatsu D53s. All of these were in the $13K price range like the dozer. There was also a Cat 931 that was an old farm dozer. Owner said it had an undercarriage of 30-40% for $9,500. I know that weight and power are your friends. All of the loaders have the 4 n 1 or multi-purpose bucket.
I recently purchased an old neglected timber tract and need something to get it into shape again. I don't have time to go the rental route and it's taken 6 months to get someone to come out and look at doing the work and he's 2 months behind. But, he's expensive I thought. But, I'm still having him do it because I needed it done by Labor day and that has come and gone. That's why I'm getting somethingto do it myself.
Basically I'll be using it for fence-lines, cleaning up underbrush, pushing up the underbrush and hauling it to the burn pile. There's also some brush pile that someone before me that need moved and burnt. I will occasionally push and clear out some smaller sapplings and larger dead trees. In one area I thought about a small pond 1/2 acre or so.

So, do you think in your opinions I'd be better off with the small dozer or do you think that the loader whichever one I decide to get would work? Any opinions on the loaders. I will appriciate your responses. I was originally going to get the dozer when I thought it weighed 16K lbs (newer one)vs the 11-12K (older one).

Thanks for your time,

James

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #2  
Nothing beats a dozer for cutting in trails.

That said, all you can really do is push and rip.

It wouldn't be my first choice if you need to move a lot of material from one place to another.

My only Dozer experience is with a CAT D3... about 16k pounds the way it was configured.

A local contractor has a Blade Runner Excavator... it's almost like have a Dozer plus will scoop a yard at a time.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #3  
James it sounds like you have thought this out quite well and kind of the same things we thought about when getting an old back hoe.

Of course with tracked equipment UC condition is critical ALWAYS. Blade pin and hole wear as long is still functional is not a super high concern to me. Something that took years to wear for light personal farm use might last another 20 years. :)

While I have decided against getting a tracked machine now I did run into one off of a farm that was far from being worn out but it had the single purpose bucket. I would lean to a multi-purpose bucket dozer in your case perhaps.

The one thing that I think is important you start out willing to loose most of your purchase price if a problem is found or develops that will cost the purchase again in repairs.

There are a lot of dogs out there but one can find equipment that for some reason got rebuilt years ago but never was used enough to wear out the rebuild effort. It can take a lot of looking but then make a 30 minute decision when you find "IT". :)

Best of luck and keep your options open. Parts and old factory service manuals off Ebay, etc carry a lot of weight with me personally.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #4  
A dozer fitted with a root rake can make short work of underbrush, and can push up a pretty decent burn pile. If the dozer has a six-way blade, I would consider that over the track loader. I also have a mini-ex with a rake and thumb which is also great for ripping up underbrush and topping up burn piles. IMHO, the dozer is the best candidate for pond work.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!!
Bob, the dozer only has manual angle and tilt. Do, you thinkk a 15-20k lb track loader would do as much as the 11-12k lb Dozer? On thing I thought about when I finish with the loader is selling it a getting a dozer for the pond. Or get the dozer and do all I can then get the loader for routine maintance. Maybe by then it could be a Ag tractor with a FEL on it.

James

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #6  
Had a 931c with a 4-n-1 bucket and ripper on the back. The only thing I couldn't do was was finish grading. A 931 can do a lot of work. Comparing it to a D4, I could knock down bigger trees, faster. Being able to lift the bucket up high to push gives you a lot more leverage. Plus, you can dig deeper around the roots. Having the multipurpose bucket allowed me to pick up and move just about anything. I cut six miles of trails with that machine. When I needed a dozer for finish grading, I rented one. Once I got the property cleaned up, I sold the 931 and picked up a CTL to keep things cleaned up. Of course, that's the same type of equipment, just smaller. In short, the track loader is much more versatile and I would only recommend the dozer if you were going to just be doing grading and finish grading work.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #7  
Can you use the 4-n-1 like a grapple to pick up to pile brush and trees?

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #8  
Your potential dozer has a manual tilt/angle blade which means you have to plan your cuts well in advance or you'll be spending a lot of time crawling up and down the side of the dozer. The track loader appears to be a viable option for you but crowning roads and trails won't be as easy. You can still dig a pond with the track loader too but it isn't the preferred machine IMHO. I would stick with your original idea about using a CUT for maintenance, a CTL is basically just a skid steer with tracks instead of tires, and can't cover ground like a CUT. Comparing any CTL to say, a 931 Cat is comparing apples to oranges.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #9  
my suggestion is to buy a crawler loader, which can replace the bulldozer in all aspects.

/ Help me decide. Dozer or Crawler Loader!!! #10  
James, how much land do you have and how much of it are you planing on clearing?