Help me decide which backhoe to keep.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #1  

ARinKS

Tractor
Gehl, Massey Ferguson, Ford, Case, John Deere
What is a better backhoe to keep for farm use?

- case 580ck or a Massey Ferguson 40B??

Both are around the same age. And both in decent condition.
I just need one. The case is gas, I am fine with that though. The Massey is in a little better shape.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with one or the other?

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #2  
Case backhoes are legendary but that Massey 40b has 3 point capability at least on some models. Do you have the 3 pt setup for when the backhoe is off? The Massey has a Perkins engine so that is good. The Case is gas, I would not favor that.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #3  
I know nothing about backhoes, but all things being equal ... I would keep the one that is in better shape / condition. (Massey, as you indicated).

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #4  
I️ say keep whichever you can still get parts for, which I️ would believe is the case.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep.
Some good points guys.
Both of these units are industrial units that do not have rear PTO. I suppose the question is is a case 580ck that's gas better than a MF with a Perkins. All things considered.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #6  
Some good points guys.
Both of these units are industrial units that do not have rear PTO. I suppose the question is is a case 580ck that's gas better than a MF with a Perkins. All things considered.

I have a (1970) Ford 3400 quick disconnect TLB (with 3pt hitch). It is probably of similar vintage to your two choices.
You don't mention the comparative number of engine hours.
I love my 44HP gas Ford. It is now 47 years old, with 1850 hours..
The Perkins engine in the Massey is certainly a plus. What engine (gas) does the 380CK have?
How many hours on each machine?

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #7  
If you plan to use it a lot- then the diesel might represent a $ savings on fuel but might be more difficult to start in winter unless you have a block heater. I have an old Case 530 diesel backhoe that I use maybe on average 5 hours per year. It is very handy, but I really wish it was not an industrial unit (it has no PTO) so I could detach the hoe and use it more for farm work (use the loader for moving round bales, running the grain auger, etc.).

If you haven't purchased it yet- would you consider a 3 point unit? (and use it gently to avoid overloading/damaging the tractor/3 point) At the time I bought mine, I didn't have a large enough tractor to attach a 3 point unit to, but now that I do, and no more often that I use it, I would probably prefer a 3 point unit.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #8  
I would go Massey.

/ Help me decide which backhoe to keep. #10  
At least for my area, Massey Industrial parts are pretty hard to find. I did have a Case 310B several years back, and really had no problem finding most parts, even though some were from salvage machines. I have a 480C now, and can find anything I've needed so far. Lots of quality aftermarket items out there now, plus a lot of salvage items for the Case machines, which would be my biggest concern for an older machine.