Forks Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #11  
I'm also going to go with 1,000 pounds or less of lift capacity with the clamp on forks. Then deduct another 100 - 150 pounds for the bucket and forks, I wouldn't expect anything over 800 pounds to move.

It's surprisingly easy to lift the rear tires off the ground with a tractor. I've done it more than once with a 1500 pound rotary cutter attached to the 3 point and it isn't a fun experience. When I feel them start to bounce, I immediately drop the FEL, no matter what's in it. I can replace whatever might get broken from the fall a lot easier than I can replace me or the tractor.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #12  
Lift the generators with the FEL only. Do not move the tractor.

Then, have an assistant maneuver the trailer under the load and slowly lower the generator onto the trailer, keeping the tractor stationary through the entire evolution.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #13  
Lift the generators with the FEL only. Do not move the tractor.

Then, have an assistant maneuver the trailer under the load and slowly lower the generator onto the trailer, keeping the tractor stationary through the entire evolution.

This is good advice. Truth be told, a tractor is a pretty poor substitute for a forklift. It's a whole lot better than nothing but, if you've owned a proper forklift and then have to rely on a tractor only, you'll become frustrated pretty quickly. I sold my forklift in Houston when we moved here because it had warehouse tires on it that would've made it useless here, since I have no pavement. I miss it almost daily, I'm going to have to buy one with pneumatic tires soon.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #14  
What I will be wanting to lift are diesel generators that have build in skids. The 5kw version weighs approx 800lbs and the 10kw version weighs approx 1,200lbs. They also have lifting hooks so probably a safer bet to lift with a four point strap so the weight is under the bucket.

Nah. Your FEL will not have the lift capacity using straps. Lift capacity decreases rapidly with height of lift. You will have to use forks for a stable lift. Also, even a slight swing of the load from straps from uneven ground may topple the tractor. You are contemplating a max lift, after all.

BE CAREFUL NEWBIE. Tractors are inherently unstable. It is hard for doctors to treat dead.

With each post I am becoming more nervous on your behalf.

Used tractor, unknown condition, uncertain fork capacity, uncertain if FEL lift capacity includes bucket, uncertain weight of load, no tractor experience.

Last edited:
   / Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity
BE CAREFUL NEWBIE. Tractors are inherently unstable. It is hard for doctors to treat dead.

With each post I am becoming more nervous on your behalf.

Used tractor, unknown condition, uncertain fork capacity, uncertain if FEL lift capacity includes bucket, uncertain weight of load, no tractor experience.

Funny. I admit that I have no tractor experience and I ask detailed questions so I can learn how to do things safely and within the capacity of my tractor and I get hazed by some guy who thinks he was born on a tractor.

I know very well the risks involved with tractors and other machinery. Branson is sending me the manuals for the tractor and FEL and I am buying from a Branson dealer who is going through the tractor top to bottom. Don't have the forks yet but they will be new so I assume the capacity will be listed on them and will get a manual. Sorry I don't want to spend 30k on a new Kubota for a vacation place.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #16  
I don't know how many of these things you'd like to lift, but around here, used forklifts are pretty cheap. Another option is a three point forklift. They are a much safer way to lift a heavy load like that and they do it with less stress on the tractor. I see them on Craigslist here for $600-1000.

Personally, I'd be very cautious about lifting that big Genny with my Kubota and SSQA forks. My loader is rated to lift over 2,000lbs to full height, but any time you list a heavy bulky object like that, you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation. What happens if your front tire fails, for example?

Whatever you do, make damned sure you're wearing your seatbelt and the ROPS is up.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity
I'm now leaning towards skipping the clamp on forks. Going to ask my dealer if he has a blank plate that fits my loader. Then I could buy some used forks and weld on the plate.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #19  
I'm now leaning towards skipping the clamp on forks. Going to ask my dealer if he has a blank plate that fits my loader. Then I could buy some used forks and weld on the plate.

I like this idea.

I don't think it's the actual forks are likely to be the weak point. My assumption is the bottom of the bucket would buckle first. So the "weight rating" of the forks doesn't really matter. This is just my guess but I've seen several bent buckets on TBN.

/ Help me figure out clamp on fork lifting capacity #20  
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but...

I've got 3pt forks that I used IN my loader bucket. I have a tooth bar on the bucket, so plenty of strengthening there. I chain the top link connection of the forks to a grab hook (centered) on the bucket. It all works fine as long as I don't roll the bucket down or tip the tractor excessively (if this happens you're more likely to drop it out of the bucket than to take the tractor over- not making this any sort of "selling" point, just noting it).

If you really only need to just lift up and move around then 3pt pallet forks might work really well for you. I usually have stuff hooked up on my 3pt and am too lazy to take it off when I know that I can just do it with the bucket.

I've got an Onan/Cummins 7.5kw diesel generator (Kubota diesel; water cooled; battery; fuel tank on top), not light at all. No idea on weight, but it's got to be a good 500 lbs. Managed to lift this out of the back of my truck (it was placed there using an excavator). My loader is rated around 890 lbs: it's an LA402; "402" is kilos (times 2.1 to get pounds). I have ballasted rears and usually have my box blade on back, which is 400+ lbs.