Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #61  
It's only 26hp, 500Kg loader 3" to 4" about the max. Dumping while driving forward will sometimes make roots snap. (twisting forces)
20170826_131841.jpg 20170911_132039.jpg

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #62  
A word of caution on pushing trees over.

I have a brand new (in 2012) Kubota M7040, Deluxe cab, FEL, my first new tractor, my baby.

I pushed over several pine trees about 20' high using the FEL and my very heavy blower on the 3 pt. Very proud of myself and my tractor

Then I pushed one over and had a hard time backing up.

The stump and root ball came up under my tractor as I pushed. It snagged the guard for the fuel tank which had an angle arm bracket as the leading edge of the guard.

The angle arm was ripped off the aluminum under-pan for the fuel tank.

6 years later I still see the bend angle piece under my tractor and leave it as a visible reminder.

Now, I use a ladder and get as high up in the tree as I can and attached a very strong nylon tow strap for larger trucks.

I use the strap as it is much easier to lift than my 50 ton rated chain.

Now I assemble enough chain so that I am far back from the tree and cannot be hit as it comes down.

If needed, I can move around the tree leaving the strap in place and dragging the chains.

This is why I am a strong advocate for the puller with the additional hydraulic cylinder. Someday I hope to buy one.

Dave M7040

When ever I hear about pushing trees over i think of this pic.

6C3471D6-1B44-4AFB-B6B0-86A83C30634C.jpeg

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #63  
Ah, I remember this thread! I ended up building my own puller from scratch to suit my specific needs in my densely packed forest of pine, fir saplings. At first it was just the puller with a guard to prevent the tall saplings from falling back on the tractor but quickly realized that if I were to pluck & move it to a pile close by, it would snag up above and cause the sapling to snap at the top of the jaw (first pic) so I made 菟incers to hold it upright while transporting it (second pic). It worked like a charm!

View attachment 681939

View attachment 681940

That is an awesome idea and setup. I am surprised I haven't seen this as an add on option on any commercially sold tree pullers.

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #64  

Attachments

• 000EA0F7-3F4B-43F8-9BCE-93276B40392B.png
    000EA0F7-3F4B-43F8-9BCE-93276B40392B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
   / Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #65  
Too much tree, too little tractor.