Price Check Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth?

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Ford/NH folks,

Please help me out here. My elderly neighbor (he is a good dude too) bought this tractor a couple years ago for $5,600 and he used it to coean up and put in an extensive back/side yard and he is done with it. He had a guy who wanted it, and was gonna give him $5,600 for it, but the guy had a stroke and is no longer interested.

Yesterday after I groomed his driveway, he asked me to help him sell his tractor.

So I came straight here to the experts.

What's it worth? How best can I assist him in selling it? Craigslist?

I have no horse in this race. I'm just being neighborly...
His house is for sale too if anyon wants to be my new neighbor...

Thanks in advance.
Be well,
David

Attachments

• 2012-03-31 14.26.21.jpg
    2012-03-31 14.26.21.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 538
  • 2012-03-31 14.26.30.jpg
    2012-03-31 14.26.30.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 2012-03-31 14.26.41.jpg
    2012-03-31 14.26.41.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 2012-03-31 14.27.07.jpg
    2012-03-31 14.27.07.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 423
   / Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #2  
There's only one listed on TractorHouse.com right now:
1975 FORD 420 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com You can advertise on there, but you will get calls from out of the country. (ask me how I know)
Probably the best for me has been the local "Thrifty Nickel" "Quick Quarter" etc., papers. Also, if there is a local radio station that has a "Swap Shop," that can help, and it's usually free. Of course, there's always CL, but I don't know how many people looking for a tractor like that will actually search on CL.
Also, if he has a tractor dealer that he does business with, tell him to let the salesmen know that it's for sale. They can probably help get the word out.

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #3  
David, have you recently seen that tractor run? Do the hydraulics work fine and the engine not smoke? How about leaks? I think if the tractor runs with no obvious problems and the loader and boxblade work fine, he'll find someone who'll be happy to pay the same price as he paid. Lot's of people want a shiny new tractor, but many folks know a well-running older tractor like that is a great workhorse. I'd say that if you help him put it on CL, that you go to $6000 or more in asking price. That way he can take less and make the buyer think they are getting a bargain.

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth?
David, have you recently seen that tractor run? Do the hydraulics work fine and the engine not smoke? How about leaks? I think if the tractor runs with no obvious problems and the loader and boxblade work fine, he'll find someone who'll be happy to pay the same price as he paid. Lot's of people want a shiny new tractor, but many folks know a well-running older tractor like that is a great workhorse. I'd say that if you help him put it on CL, that you go to $6000 or more in asking price. That way he can take less and make the buyer think they are getting a bargain.

Jinman,

It runs great. he starts it weekly if not daily, and I've used it to put in a garden bed for my wife last May.

He is a retired mechanic of some sort, pretty skilled I believe...

Thanks for the advice.

David

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #5  
i would say it should be worth 6500 to 7k easily

i would say it should be worth 6500 to 7k easily

WOW! That is great! I would LOVE to help him make a little extra on it!

Next question,

Anyone know how I can decipher the info on the serial number plate to figure out the engine HP, the year, etc?

Thanks,
David

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #7  
I dont have a manual to read the tag, but that would be a late 70s to early 80s model. It should be a 201 3 cylinder, which ford used in tons of tractors. Engine horsepower would be around 60.

I dont have a manual to read the tag, but that would be a late 70s to early 80s model. It should be a 201 3 cylinder, which ford used in tons of tractors. Engine horsepower would be around 60.

Strum,

He said he thought the guy he bought it from said it was either 65HP or 80HP...

Late 70's sounds about right...

Thanks,
David

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #9  
WOW! That is great! I would LOVE to help him make a little extra on it!

Next question,

Anyone know how I can decipher the info on the serial number plate to figure out the engine HP, the year, etc?

Thanks,
David

it a 1977 model and was rated i believe at 55 pto hp so it will be 60-65 engine hp

/ Help me Neighbor - What's this old Ford worth? #10  
Searchtempest.com will let you search Craigslist nationwide to see current asking prices.