Box Scraper Help me size Box Blade

/ Help me size Box Blade #11  
I would lean toward a 60 inch boxblade for your described applications..

I run a 48 inch on my 790 for maneuvering around in the tight quarters of the tree farm when burying spade holes, filling small washes and removing remaining roots after a tree gets dug. .

My boxblade is a frontier BB2048. Its a heavy, very well built little thing. I would recommend getting as heavy as a 60" box as you can, weight is how a box blade works.

Go heavy duty, and 60" you will get years of service from your investment of a boxblade.

Attachments

• new box blade.jpg
    new box blade.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 201
   / Help me size Box Blade #12  
I would look for a 54" or 60" used boxblade that is well made. Should be able to find something used for half the price of new.

/ Help me size Box Blade #13  
I would go with a 60", as others have said, weight is a good thing. If I remember correctly, those tracters had a weight bar on the front and was offered with factory weights as a option. Might not be a bad thing to scrounge up some front weights if you dont already have them. I have a 48" I use in the woods for road clearing and maintaining them. I am looking for a 60" to do driveways,dirtwork in the yard, and to get close to things. LUTT

/ Help me size Box Blade #14  
I would go with a 60", as others have said, weight is a good thing. If I remember correctly, those tracters had a weight bar on the front and was offered with factory weights as a option. Might not be a bad thing to scrounge up some front weights if you dont already have them. I have a 48" I use in the woods for road clearing and maintaining them. I am looking for a 60" to do driveways,dirtwork in the yard, and to get close to things. LUTT

Did you notice this is a 2wd 855?

/ Help me size Box Blade #15  
I have a 30" scoop I use on the BX, I don't think I would want a smaller one. I use it instead of having a lawn mower cart for it. You may need some weights for the front when using the box blade or scoop. You may be able to do some light digging with it but it won't be like a FEL but is it better than nothing.

I would look for a 54" or 60" used boxblade that is well made. Should be able to find something used for half the price of new.

I agree.

/ Help me size Box Blade #16  
Go heavy duty, and 60" you will get years of service from your investment of a boxblade.

Agree with this. My recommended choice.

/ Help me size Box Blade #17  
I don't think the OP would have trouble with the boxblade moving dirt with the rippers up or dropped down slightly. I do think dropping the rippers on a five ft boxblade would do a quick job of anchoring the tractor in place. I use a 48" boxblade with my x749 garden tractor and thats all it wants, My 4520 cab with weights is loaded with my 7' boxblade and that is all it wants. Don't think an 855 would handle a heavy duty 60" boxblade with the rippers down very well.

Ideally something such as the Cammond 54" boxblade would be a better match imo. Here's a link to a 54" Cammond with four rippers that should work well with this tractor. http://cammond.com/Cammond Economy Scraper Series.htm

/ Help me size Box Blade #18  
I don't know if you have already have bought a box scraper, but something to consider is a rear blade as it can be angled as to let dirt roll off to the side and thus requiring less hp than the same sized box scraper. I have a B3200HST with a 5' Taylor Way (made by KK) HD box scraper. I run R4 industrial tires that are 75% water filled, and when I'm in 2WD and the box gets full of dirt, 32hp isn't enough to pull it, the rear wheels just spin. Weight is very important, especially up front.

Last edited:
   / Help me size Box Blade #19  
I have two box blades for my tractors(JD2305 and jd2320). I have a 48" that works great for dirt work, but thats not really what you want. I find the large 72" bb works great on gravel for leveling. Wider is better and the traction is not an issue while on the driveway. My recommendation is the 60" for you as you only want one bb. Tsc and northern tool have pretty good prices but check out ted's unit at eta, their prices are good to and you fall in theur 1000 miles free shipping thing. Plus eta has great videos.