Grapple Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s

/ Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s
My Kubota M7040 goes in for it's 50 hour service next Tuesday. At that point my dealer is going to get these attachments all set up with the hydraulic hoses and the third function valve from Kubota.

I should have pictures of everything sometime next week.

- Mike

/ Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s #42  
I would check out this place. I got my grapple there delivered to Vermont for a very reasonable price. I have put the thing to the test and it is super durable. Root Grapple

I was at my dealer today writing up the service order and finally saw the two grapplers I ordered. Sorry I didn't have the camera then, but I'll post pictures as soon as the tractor gets home.

The 48" root grapple looks solid with 3/8" steel. The one arm is wider than I expected. Should work good for my brush piles and log moving.

The smaller stump grapple has three teeth in the front similar in size to what you would expect on a backhoe bucket. The sides of the bucket do not rise up as much as their stump bucket without the grappler. Hopefully this will help it dig in deep without as much resistance as others have claimed from the stump bucket.

Mike in VT, which model/size did you get and feel free to post some pictures of them on this thread.

- Mike

I got my M7040 back from my dealer today after the 50 hour service and it came home with my new attachments:

1) WR Long flat bottom toothbar
2) Wildcat stump grapple
3) Wildcat 48" root grapple
4) Wildcat quick attach to 3 point adaptor

I'll try to attach pictures for the first time, bear with me. The first two pictures are of the 48" root grapple. I used the root grapple for an hour and then the stump grapple for another hour. I'm glad I have both - they each worked better at different tasks.

The root grapple worked great as expected moving a huge pile of brush, although I'm not that efficient at grabbing big loads of brush yet. I also moved a couple dozen sawlogs around very easily by pinching them with the grapple.

I had a harder time popping stumps and rocks with the root grapple. The small stumps I tried would slip through the spacing between the front wedges. I had a much easier time doing this with the stump grapple (pictures to follow in next reply).

Visibility is hindered with this root grapple because of the flat metal plate on the top single grapple compared to more open designs by other manufacturers. However, for the $500 this root grapple cost me, I'll get my value out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2859.JPG
    IMG_2859.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 262
Here is a second set of pictures of the stump grapple in action. I went after a couple of smaller stumps, but failed with some larger ones that my old backhoe would have probably removed. I didn't take the time systematically rip away at the roots on each side, just went right at them. If they went easy then I popped them, otherwise I just moved on to the next one.

Then I went after some rocks and I was very happy with the results. By combining the stump grapple and a forward push from my M7040, I was able to get a couple rocks that had challenged my backhoe before.

My one critique is that it was challenging to pick up large flat rocks because of the upward slope on the sides of the stump grapple bucket. The large flat rocks kept slipping forward until I had them tilted enough to create some resistence in the ground to get them into the back of the bucket.

For the $600 I paid for this one, it will be my dedicated rock popper. When I need to remove a lot of stumps, I'll still hire an excavator. Stump popping is one of the hardest tasks to put a tractor through.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 242
   / Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s #46  
Those both look like very nice implements. I'm still stunned by the $500 price you got on the grapple. That is cheaper than the bucket grapple kits and it is a far more useful implement.

/ Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s #47  
Last weekend I had to move a heap of scrub to the burn pile. The 4in1 did a great job of ripping some sizeble trees out of the ground, but moving them (3 or 4 branches at time) 300 metres to the pile was tedious. For the first time ever I was envious of the carrying capacity you guys enjoy with a dedicated grapple. I wouldnt have forked out $500 for the convenience of a grapple even if I'd had a 'grapple shop' next door, but I couldnt help imagining how nice it would have been.

/ Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s #48  
Air19,
How about a first year user's report ?

Hi Reg,

Been very busy getting in firewood, but just got on the forum and noticed your request for a one year report.

Like most grapple owners, I think I have my grapple on the tractor more than my bucket. Since the beginning of September we have been pulling sawlogs and firewood just about every day along our trails. I'm running with the grapple up front and a winch on the back, and what a great combination for working in the woods. I've pulled in about 50 sawlogs and 30 cords of firewood.

I've found my 48" root grapple that weighs about 500 pounds to be well suited for my forestry work. I've moved everything from huge single hemlock sawlogs to big bunches of maple firewood logs. The hemlock sawlogs are cut 12'6" long and they are usually about 20" diameter. I don't know how much they weigh, but I'm sure glad I have loaded rear tires and a 1000 lb winch on the back. As long as I take my time lifting up these big logs to make sure they are centered well, I have found the 48" width works fine. And having a relatively light weight grapple has probably worked to my advantage lifting these heavy sawlogs. My only complaint with this application is that I wish the "throat" of the grapple was larger. Once I load a 20" diameter log in the grapple it's hard to grab anything else. I am starting to experiment with putting a 10" log in first and then pinching the 20" log, but the 20" just doesn't feel steady enough. Sometimes I need to drive half a mile to get these logs out of the woods.

For our maple firewood I can fit in just about all I can carry in the grapple. For the firewood gathering I always have a range of different size logs and it's easy to create a good bunch to carry out. I'm only limited by the weight lifting capacity of my loader arms which I can certainly max out with our maple.

Back at the landing the grapple has been very handy moving logs around and loading logs onto the sawmill. I have also used the grapple a couple of days cleaning up tops, limbs, and brush and it worked fine for that. My only complaint in this area is that with the big plate on the top of the grapple between the two teeth, my visibility isn't always the best.

As far as wear and tear, the only thing I've done is bend that big top plate. One day I grabbed a 15" fir tree, about 40 feet long, by the butt end. It was hanging out over a bank and I grabbed the butt end and pulled it back, then I got cute and raised the entire tree and drove it up to my burn pile. Imagine a giant spear out in front of the tractor. I noticed later the plate had a slight bend in it. Next time I won't be as lazy and I'll cut it into 12' lengths that I can manage driving between the trees along the road.

My second grapple hasn't had as much use, but it's a special purpose one anyways. I got it to pop rocks and stumps. I've had it on for about two weeks this year. It was handy during mowing season. I used it to pop rocks in my fields, sometimes before the brush hog found them, sometimes after banged against them. With it's much smaller front end, it's better at digging under rocks and popping them out than the root grapple which catches too much earth doing the same thing. But it's still no match for many of the stumps I have around here. Any hardwood stump over 12 inches isn't worth trying until it's had a couple years to rot down.

The third attachment I got out of the deal is a converter plate that allows me to move my rear three point hitch attachments up front to my quick attach. I have a set of forks that I move between the front and back of the tractor, and it works good for that. I'm going to make or buy a hitch reciever attachment that I'll be able to move around the same way with this converter plate.

Like other grapple owners, no matter what grapple they have, it's probably the best attachment I have. It certainly gets the most use.

/ Help me spend $3500 on grapples and 4n1s #50  
Thanks,
So pretty much as expected; the grapple has been the best bang for the buck, although the stump grapple has been useful for some one time rock popping and some small stumps.
You probably don't regret not getting a bucket grapple to add to your regular bucket instead ?