Buying Advice Help me spend money on a tractor

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #11  
You’re fast, but not really relevant if you can’t buy other attachments with pinning to match your bucket or loader. I know I can buy everything from snow plows to pallet forks in JDQA or SSQA. Maybe not a big issue for your operation, but something to consider for others, as well as a potential resale issue.

There many ways to skin the SSQA cat though. Here is the easiest. I have thought about buying one but as of now would have never used it.

I bought brackets to build this adapter for about $190 and need to buy the SSQA piece of it for less than $400. For under $600 I could build it and will eventually.

I just keep hearing the incomplete information about SSQA being a requirement. It isn't for many folks, especially if you have a welder and a little fabrication skill.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #12  
I just keep hearing the incomplete information about SSQA being a requirement. It isn't for many folks, especially if you have a welder and a little fabrication skill.
Good point. We should rephrase the QA recommendations to include that as an option.

On the flip side, are there even many loaders sold today without some form of QA, whether SSQA or JDQA? When I last shopped new tractors in 2019, I was asked whether I wanted JDQA or SSQA, it didn't seem like "no QA" was even an option being offered on the models I was shopping.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor
Thanks for all the input. The reason to repair it is so I have it to use whilst I am trying to figure out (a) if it is time for a new tractor and (b) what color it is going to be. Also, I think having it fully repaired will make it more attractive if I trade it in for a different color. The reason for Orange v. Green v. Blue is those are the good dealers around me. I am not a handy guy at all so having dealer support for repairs/maintenance is a necessity. I do have a line on a local guy that repairs tractors but is not affiliated with any dealer. However, during the warranty period I would want a dealer close by in the event there is an issue.

Yes, I think the NH dealer is lowballing me. It has 875 or so hours on it. Looking online those retail around $14K. So 10K for trade might be ok, but likely a bit low.

Looking at the Workmaster 40 it would run about $31K. For that same price I can get a similar machine from Kubota. JD would be a bit more money.

I will want a quick attach of some kind for the bucket. I can see how pallet forks would be useful in my operation. Also, a hay spear might be good too. While doing small squares lots of folks around here are bundling them in 21-bale bundles. Would be great to move those around without having to open them and deal with individual bales.

Thanks for all the comments.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #14  
You’re fast, but not really relevant if you can’t buy other attachments with pinning to match your bucket or loader. I know I can buy everything from snow plows to pallet forks in JDQA or SSQA. Maybe not a big issue for your operation, but something to consider for others, as well as a potential resale issue.
That's the difference. With any quick attach that old bugaboo of pin size & spacing doesn't matter since the QA is universal....Or maybe we should say almost universal.

SSQA is winning the popularity contest in the USA. Probably because it was so well popularized by Skid Steer initially. It is good, not necessarily the best.

JDQA ia closer to the European Quick Attach standard - and from what I see, that one looks better than either of the others. But it hasn't caught on in our market. Most things here are SSQA.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #15  
Never hurts to shop around or counter their trade-in offer. I assumed the $8,000 was without doing the $2,600 in repairs. That would be the closer to the $10,000 you would have to spend on a new tractor. If it is repaired, then it is a lowball offer. Trade-in price is wholesale, not retail price. And the prices you see in Tractorhouse or other such sites are asking price, not selling price.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor
Never hurts to shop around or counter their trade-in offer. I assumed the $8,000 was without doing the $2,600 in repairs. That would be the closer to the $10,000 you would have to spend on a new tractor. If it is repaired, then it is a lowball offer. Trade-in price is wholesale, not retail price. And the prices you see in Tractorhouse or other such sites are asking price, not selling price.
No the $8k was as is. Not having done the repairs. I still think it is a bit of a lowball. However more important for me to have the time to figure out if I want a new tractor and if so what color it is going to be.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #17  
Don't know if you've seen this, but it's definitely worth watching.
I've had my 2032R for only 2 years, but have done a lot of work with it. Don't under-estimate the 2 series; they underwent a major upgrade back in 2017, when John Deere came out with the Gen 2 series 2R's.
head to head comparison of a JD 2r vs 3e

If you buy a new John Deere, you can get 0% financing which includes insurance on the tractor, and also includes 0% on any JD implements you buy at the same time.
They also off a 3 or 5 year extended warranty for a very reasonable price, which includes transport to and from the JD dealer and all parts and labor, with no co-pay. Of course I bought it, and therefore have never needed it.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #18  
I like the Yanmar's: WARRANTY:
10-year Limited Powertrain Warranty - YANMAR America Corporation

willy

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #19  
That's the difference. With any quick attach that old bugaboo of pin size & spacing doesn't matter since the QA is universal.
Great point!

Most things here are SSQA.
I think this must vary regionally, because I've heard others say this, but around here most things are JDQA. There's tons of SSQA too, but mostly for skid steer implements, whereas most CUT implements (and most CUT's) around here are JDQA.

We have a real strong Deere presence locally, and I guess the implement selection reflects that. I've always been told it's because the Mennonites shy away from flashy red tractors, but I think that's just an apocryphal story. Probably more a reflection of a good local dealer network, but the dozen or so houses I pass in my daily travels with CUTs are all Deere. I haven't personally inspected each to see if it's JDQA or SSQA, but I believe most are JDQA.

/ Help me spend money on a tractor #20  
I currently have a NH Boomer 24. It is starting to nickel and dime me on repairs. I am not handy so repairs done by dealer. It is currently in the shop needing $2600 in repairs. That is shortly after $1400 in repairs. Ranges from hydraulic hoses worn out to the shaft of the cooling fan cracking. We have a leak on the seal around the HST and they say the need to split the tractor to fix that.

They will give me $8K on the trade. A new Workmaster 40 is like $31K. The WM 35 is only $1500 cheaper.

The 24-horse of the boomer is a bit underpowered for our use, which I think might be causing some of the repair bills. They will give me $8K for a trade. If I want to trade it in at another dealer I would need to pay the $2600 in repairs.

I am not wedded to blue. We have a good Kubota dealer nearby. We have a JD dealer as well, but lord Green is expensive.

Basically, we are an 18-acre horse farm. Tasks mainly include moving manure, bush hog, and plowing snow with the bucket (land of lake effect). We use small squares so the way the tractor gets used for moving hay is by throwing some small squares onto the bucket and driving from point A to B.

The Boomer 24 has a pin on bucket. A Quick Attach bucket would be nice.

Any thoughts on what Kubota, Deere, or NH would be a good match?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

The Deere equivalent to the Workmaster line would be the 3E, the 3R would be more the equivalent to the Boomer 35 and 40, and the 4M/4R would be the equivalent to the Boomer 45/50/55. Deere also makes the 3D which is the same size as the 3E and 3R and has a gear transmission but no live PTO, so brush hogging would take some thought. If you want another option, LS Mtron actually makes the New Holland/CaseIH compacts and sells identical units under their own brand with a slightly lighter blue paint job and a different loader for noticeably less than the New Holland/Case IH versions. I personally like a gear transmission, the fact you would have to go with a fairly fancy 3R to get a medium sized Deere compact with a gear transmission and an independent PTO would make me look at something else.

NH and Kubota use the skid loader QA on all of their compacts, Deere uses the small (100-400) JDQA on all 1-3 series units and uses that or an optional skid loader QA on the 4 series units.

That's the difference. With any quick attach that old bugaboo of pin size & spacing doesn't matter since the QA is universal....Or maybe we should say almost universal.

SSQA is winning the popularity contest in the USA. Probably because it was so well popularized by Skid Steer initially. It is good, not necessarily the best.

JDQA ia closer to the European Quick Attach standard - and from what I see, that one looks better than either of the others. But it hasn't caught on in our market. Most things here are SSQA.

Skid loader QA is the most popular compact tractor QA as it is the only QA that is used on compacts, except for Deere's, and Deere even offers it on the 4 series' loaders.

Global (which is the Euro/DIN standard you reference) certainly has caught on here. The issue is that the smallest Global is too large of a QA for a compact tractor and you only see it on full-sized utility tractors and larger. I can't say for sure about CNH (who also uses Global) but Deere doesn't offer anything except Global once you get beyond the smaller utility tractors, all of the 600 series and larger loaders are Global-only. Global does look a lot like JDQA except the bottom attachment points are a big spring-loaded (or actuator-driven) pin going through pin holes on Global and a couple of stubby 3 point lift pins on JDQA. I have used JDQA, Global (with a spring-loaded pin) and skid loader QA, and they are listed in my order of preference.