Help moving these steps

/ Help moving these steps #1  

nod

Bronze Member
I have foundation problems. I have these steps that have to be removed to fix it. The steps are 5' 6" wide and 42 inches high. They are poured concrete. I need some ideas about how to remove them. The wall behind the steps is leaning in. I do not want to make it fall, it is a basement wall. I can't get a strap or chain around the top because the top of the steps are leaning in on the bricks.
20170418_162320.jpeg 20170418_162312(1).jpeg 20170418_162330.jpeg 20170418_162348.jpeg

/ Help moving these steps #2  
What about using a hammer drill to make a hole, and anchoring or better yet, epoxying in a forged eye bolt? If you have a decent sized piece of equipment you could use that to pull the steps straight out.

I would do a quick calculation of the weight of the steps and make sure you get a correctly sized eye bolt...

You could also drill two holes and make a rebar "u" shape and epoxy it in the holes. Would be a lot cheaper than a quality eye-bolt.

The epoxy they make for this application isn't terribly cheap, but is extremely strong.

-Joe

/ Help moving these steps #3  
Can you snake a cable around it through the cracks?

Start with a thin cable then pull a thicker one.

Attachments

• step1a.jpeg
    step1a.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 149
  • step2a.jpeg
    step2a.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 146
   / Help moving these steps #4  
Yeah, I'd be careful about trying to tip them over from the top, as if the cable broke, it will fall back against the wall and good chance of damaging it more.

Have you tried digging down along the left side and front step and seeing how far down into the dirt they go yet? There may be even more mass of concrete beneath them.

/ Help moving these steps #6  
Just take them out and rebuild on a proper footing. Cheaper and better product when done.

Cement stairs are heavy and should be supported by footers or proper pylons.

/ Help moving these steps #7  
Just take them out and rebuild on a proper footing. Cheaper and better product when done.

Cement stairs are heavy and should be supported by footers or proper pylons.

He's asking HOW to take them out. ;)

/ Help moving these steps #8