Help, my 4 year old Conquest is down!

/ Help, my 4 year old Conquest is down! #1  

Carl in CT

Silver Member
Tractor
1958 Massey Harris Ferguson 202 loader/backhoe
My 4 year old Simplicity Conquest with 23hp Briggs Vanguard motor is in rough shape. It's in the shop for a few weeks getting diagnosed but I'm very concerned it's dead, spewing oil out the left valve cover and little to no compression. Mechanic thinks it most likely severely overheated, probably due to a mouse nest somewhere. He says if I'm lucky it will just be a head gasket. If it's more it may not be worth fixing. We'll see. A new 23hp Vanguard motor is $1,400 before labor, yikes.

So, for now I picked up an old JD 210 that's rough but it mows. Anyway, I asked the mechanic about repowering the Simplicity with a cheaper engine if the Vanguard is toast. He said he wouldn't do that because of having to match up exhaust manifolds/mufflers, wiring, etc. I dunno, seems like as long as the shaft is the right size the rest can be worked around. Sure, it would be a lower quality motor but budget is a major concern here and the 210 probably isn't going to last the whole summer.

Any thoughts on finding a cheaper alternative for a new motor if the old one is too far gone?

Thanks in advance.

The current engine is:

Model 386777
Type 0111-G1
Code 08012611

/ Help, my 4 year old Conquest is down!
First, a correction. This mower is not 4 years old, more like 8 years.

Here is what the mechanic has to say (he really seems to know his stuff). He removed the shrouds and they were jam packed with mouse nest material which goes along with his diagnosis of extreme overheating. Both head gaskets are toast, the left one being far worse than the other. The left cylinder had a 95% leakage, so the gasket is almost completely gone. The right one had 22% leakage. He did run it and said it was backfiring (shooting fire) through the carb which means it has valve issues most likely. Here are the three options from cheapest total price on up. BTW, these prices include a new interstate battery, plugs, oil change and filter, air filter, new blades and complete power wash.

1. $600 - Replace the left head/gasket/valves/rocker arms (apparently that comes as a set). Replace just the head gasket on the right side.

2. $1,000 - Replace the heads/valves/rocker arms/gaskets on both sides.

3. $2,000 - Replace with new Vanguard engine (which includes new carb, starter, etc.).

Options 1&2 have obvious risks because there could be other damage in the engine. Can't do a compression test with blown head gaskets so there is risk of the pistons/rings being damaged that we can't know until the work is completed and a compression test done. Apparently replacing the pistons/rings would be another $800 total so that is almost the cost of a whole new engine.

Option 3 is a sure thing but $2,000, ouch, that would ruin my summer which I really need to not be ruined (again). I could possibly wait and save up for new engine over the winter and limp through summer with my old JD 210 but it is so tired, burns oil badly and I'm not sure it will last the summer.

I do think this tractor is worth fixing as even if I spent $2,000 it would be far better than any new $2,000 box store mower.

Any opinions/suggestions?