HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #11  
Well, we have some things in common. I feel the same way in a furniture store with a bunch of female sales associates hovering around that you do looking at tractors probably. I also have provided much entertainment for my old time "Yankee farmer" neighbors. I suppose that it is pretty easy to figure out that you are doing something that they think is stupid when you look over there and find three generations of family setting up lawn chairs to watch. Oh well, I actually spent some of my life on a farm, and eventually they would come over to see how I did some things.... for ideas, and not entertainment. It will be that way with you too, since you WANT to learn.

I think that with the horses, you will be finding other chores that a small tractor will help you with like moving manure, dragging a chain harrow around the pasture to break up manure piles, and perhaps moving hay, and certainly moving feed. I would start with the Kubota, John Deere, and Massey dealers, and perhaps look at the BX2350, and B2x20 series Kubota's, the 2305, and 2320/2520 John Deere's, and the CG2300/2400, and perhaps 1528 tractors. Ask the dealer to show you how to remove, and reinstall the mower decks, and how the hitch on the back works. If they are a good dealer, and know you are serious, they won't have any problem with that. That will give you an idea if it is something you feel you can handle alone.

Usually, we advise new owners to not buy something that will end up being too small for their ultimate needs. In your case, however, I think it is quite important that you find something you are comfortable with, and like. That will make it a lot more fun to use, and encourage you to find new ways to use it. Trading up is more expensive if you end up needing to do that, but you will have a very clear idea what you need if that becomes necessary.

I am excited for you having your land, and excited to see another woman who wants to learn, and enjoy her land. Good luck with your shopping!

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #12  
cluelessinalabama said:
My biggest fear is the DEALER. I have trust issues because a. I am a woman and feel like they want to take advantage and b. I am a woman and don't know anything about the product. But I will learn before I go and maybe I can drag a neighbor with me that knows about things. I do have trees to go around also. I am skiddish about getting anything too big so that I don't flip it or turn the thing over. I am a retired mail woman of 21 years, let's hope there is still some gumption in me.

Get your itemized prices from the dealers for the tractors, options and any implements "they" recommend and post them here. The knowledge on this site is unbelieveable and within a short time period, you will have numerous comments on the pricing. If you name the dealers, you'll get recommendations with that too!!!

Don't be afraid. There's a lot to learn, but just like the Verizon Wireless network, you have the TBN network behind you! We're just not as noticeable! :D

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #13  
I am thinking that you might have a tough time getting the Hubby out of the seat of a tractor once he get's up on it.:D As mentioned a good dealer is a wonderful thing to have. If you had a knowledgable neighbor you might even check out any local listings on Ebay or Craigslist.

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #14  
cluelessinalabama said:
My biggest fear is the DEALER. I have trust issues because a. I am a woman and feel like they want to take advantage and b. I am a woman and don't know anything about the product. But I will learn before I go and maybe I can drag a neighbor with me that knows about things. I do have trees to go around also. I am skiddish about getting anything too big so that I don't flip it or turn the thing over. I am a retired mail woman of 21 years, let's hope there is still some gumption in me.

Too bad you sold that 8n.. it was perfect for what you wanted. since you say you are fine with learning the maintenance and care for your new machine.. you would have done fine with the light hand that a well running N would have needed..

A scut / cut with perhaps, 4wd and a loader will get you by... too bad you will have to re-buy implements.

soundguy

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE
Okay I am looking at all these tractors you guys are talking about. The more attachments I see the more I want. I want the extras. ChuckinNH has got me pegged perfectly!!! I have got to get the nerve to walk into a dealer!!

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE
Soundguy said:
Too bad you sold that 8n.. it was perfect for what you wanted. since you say you are fine with learning the maintenance and care for your new machine.. you would have done fine with the light hand that a well running N would have needed..

A scut / cut with perhaps, 4wd and a loader will get you by... too bad you will have to re-buy implements.

soundguy
I know I know! We didn't even know how to turn it on. A friend tried and couldn't. What we didn't know was he left it in the "start" position and burned out the points. We were like "What are points." The man who sold us the house and tractor came and replaced them. He saw how truely sad and inexperience we were and suggested we go with a newer model. WHY we got rid of the implements I will never know.

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #17  
cluelessinalabama said:
Okay I am looking at all these tractors you guys are talking about. The more attachments I see the more I want. I want the extras. ChuckinNH has got me pegged perfectly!!! I have got to get the nerve to walk into a dealer!!

Cluelessinalabama,

You are off to a good start by checking this forum. All the advice you have received so far is excellent and it looks like you are already finding things about a new tractor that would allow you to do much more than just mowing. "MILS153" was recently looking for a tractor because she owned horses and wanted to do stall cleaning and other related work. I think if you check with her, you'll find that she is finding things to do with hers that she hadn't thought of before and does not regret the purchase of a used Kubota. The Kubota, and I imagine all the brands, Corp. is offering some pretty enticing financing right now on new rigs. I've had a BX 1800 Kubota since 2003 and, although I don't have 3 acres, find more uses for that thing every day. I am amazed at times with how much power such a small tractor puts out and how many things you can get to use on them.

Anyway, my recommendation is Kubota, but only because I have one, but one of the previous posts was exactly right....go and try a few different brands for comfort, ease of operation, etc. and you'll do fine. The maintenance is fairly easy to pick up on, as evidenced by me doing maintenance on mine! The one feature that I would never go without, now that I've had it, is the HST transmission. It becomes so easy to operate that it's almost become "think where you want to go and at what speed" and your brain translates that to your foot. Any minor improvements I wanted to make, I've been able to do myself and if you can't figure out how to perform a particular task, post the question on this forum. The group is very helpful, very understanding of the "newbie," and extremely creative in offering solutions to whatever it is you want to do. ChuckinNH, Bird, Kevinj, Barneyhunts have all been very helpful to me as a new member to TBN on my specific problems and you'll find a group that will guide you with your issues.

Good luck, welcome to TBN, and let us know how you make out. Dyer, retired

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #18  
My advice, would be to look around and test drive it!! It is similar to a car, gotta sit in it, drive it and get the feel for it. Hopefully you will find a dealer close to you because regardless of the brand you buy-you will need the dealer for service/parts/warranty. And any good dealer is only a phone call away to answer a question! A FEL (front end loader) is a must. Once you have one, you will never do without again. Take your time buying and this will be a good time of the year to buy with the spring savings coming up! Have fun when you get it and be safe!

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #19  
When you buy your SCUT (Sub-Compact Utility Tractor), be sure to keep the key in your pocket only. That way, you get all the "seat time" to yourself.:D
I wish I had bought a tractor with a FEL. It sure could of come in handy quite a few times. The next one will have a FEL.

/ HELP Need LOTS of ADVICE #20  
cluelessinalabama said:

That is why the chivilrous knights of TractorByNet will be right at your side throughout the process. You never need to make a decision with the dealer on the spot so take notes on what he tells you and then come post it here for comments. TBNers will do their best to keep him honest and provide perspective on his suggestions.

All of this may sound a bit confusing as you start into the process but you shouldn't worry, soon enough you'll be using tractor jargon and talking about oil changes and new implements just like the rest of us.

By the way, I would add myself to those suggesting a small CUT (compact utility tractor) or SCUT (subcompact utility tractor) with a mower and ideally a front end loader as all you would need. There are a number of good units out there by different companies. You couldn't go wrong with a Kubota BX series or the John Deere equivalent. Someone as already asked, it would be helpful to know how close the grass is to a lawn. If it is really flat and grass like then a mid mount finish mower would be my suggestion as you wouldn't need to worry about an implement hooked up to the back of the tractor. If the pasture is rough then a bush hog type mower would make more sense.