help pick flail

/ help pick flail #12  
I had a flail mower (basically a 60", think it was 64" or something around that size and a very heavy duty unit) with a 50hp tractor and some heavy brush. It would cut it but was SLOW and did a so so job and used a LOT of power. The knives were sharp and everything was in great shape. I then threw my 6' brush hog on, ran it over twice FAR faster and everything was shredded almost to the dirt. Sold the flail and have never looked back. They get a lot of hype but I just don't see the advantage unless you have a lot of concern with a brush hog throwing things outward. The nice thing is the brush hog is cheap to maintain and has little to break!
Not saying you shouldn't get a flail but wanted you to hear that not everyone loves them.

/ help pick flail
im picking up a hog tomorrow only problem i see is it knocking over brush and not cutting it

/ help pick flail #14  
I pretty much just run it over 2 times to really tear it up if I need a fine finish. Seems like then after a year it turns to a mulch and just sort of works it way back into the soil. If you are going to hog a lot of ground, run a grinder over the blade now and then and with the back end of the hog a little lower than the front and it seems to double cut everything and do a better job.
Good luck and let us know how your project is coming