Help picking new trimmer

/ Help picking new trimmer #22  
Have an older (15+ years) Stihl FS66 .... with most of the various blades for it, the automatic-feed string head, and the cultivator head (mini-rototiller) ..... it has been used quite alot in the time I've had it .....

Never really done a whole lot of maintenance on it anyways .... but over the last 4 years, I'm behind on a lot of maintenance for my equipment, due to going back to work ....

Pulled the FS 66 out a couple of weeks ago and locked the throttle trigger and set the choke ...... fired on the first pull, started on the second .....

I'm not even sure if it was even started last year .....

I also have a Stihl 031AV saw (25+ years old) and a Stihl pole trimmer ..... based on my experience, it would be really difficult for me to buy any other brand .......

/ Help picking new trimmer #23  
the automatic-feed string head

That brings up another question. How many have the automatic feed and do you like it? Several years ago, I bought a cheap corded electric Black & Decker string trimmer with the automatic feed. It worked great and did a good job. But every time I trimmed and edged our little yard and a daughter's litte yard, I had to re-string it. I never used it without having to put new string on it. So, when I bought my current Stihl FS55, I asked the dealer about the auto feed and he said almost no one likes it; recommended the bump feed instead. So the bump feed is what I have and string lasts a long time.

/ Help picking new trimmer #24  
interesting Bird cause I was thinking about buying that auto head for my Sthil.I ran out of string today on the bump head and restrung new string and it was kinda a hassle.I wonder how the auto head works and how you restring it? russ

/ Help picking new trimmer #25  
Russ, if you go shopping, let us know what your dealer says about the auto feed, whether you buy one or not.

/ Help picking new trimmer #26  
My standard farm trimmer is a Stihl FS80. This is the smallest and lightest trimmer that Stihl makes that will handle an auto line feed, brush blade, poly head, and circular saw for cutting saplings. It is a straight shaft trimmer. The FS80 is a Stihl Pro series trimmer. I am on my second FS80. I wore the first one out with ten years of commercial use. All the plastic on it gave out on it. Same as on cars today.

/ Help picking new trimmer #27  
I bought the poly head yesterday for my fs90 mainly because they were out of the auto head for my model.haven't tried it out yet. russ

/ Help picking new trimmer #28  
I bought the poly head yesterday for my fs90 mainly because they were out of the auto head for my model.haven't tried it out yet. russ

The Poly Head works good on heavy weeds. The knives on the Poly Head will hold up better than the string trimmer line on heavy weeds except when you get to a fence. Poly knives on a metal fence doesn't work. The metal brush blade will cut through everything including woven wire fence. I only use the metal blade when cutting small saplings. The metal blade is the hardest of all to trim with and I rarely use it.

/ Help picking new trimmer #29  
whisllepig thanks for the info.had to go to town today to get 50 bags of concrete mix besides it's too dang hot to weed eat.will give it a try this weekend. russ

/ Help picking new trimmer #30  
interesting Bird cause I was thinking about buying that auto head for my Sthil.I ran out of string today on the bump head and restrung new string and it was kinda a hassle.I wonder how the auto head works and how you restring it? russ

A buddy of mine has a commercial lawn service and bought a few auto heads for his Stihl trimmers. He told me they use way too much line. He went back to the standard tap heads. I bought a poly head for my Stihl FS 250 today. The dealer today also said the auto head uses alot more line.

IMG00187.jpg

As far as the battle of the brands, Stihl would definately get my vote.

IMG00167.jpg

IMG00176.jpg

IMG00267.jpg