Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Here's what I have: a 2007 Toyota forerunner with a 5K# towing capacity on the factory installed 2" receiver hitch with 7 pin socket connector. The trailer dealer I spoke to today sells Bri-Mar trailers and has an 18' dual axle equipment trailer with a Hopkins towing engager factory installed. he says that with figuring 4K#'s for the tractor and 2k#'s for the trailer I would be 1K#'s over my max towing capacity- but he is not telling me to walk away from the idea.

I have two concerns, being over rated towing capacity, and cost of unit.

He would sell it to me for $3,300 plus 150 for the elect brake control installed in the vehicle.

He says its left over last year's model and prices have gone up 8% ?, (I believe he said 8) since last order.

Thoughts, comments all are appreciated.
BTW, he also said a landscape trailer of the same weight at $3100 would have smaller axles/wheels/tires/bearings so it would be no better value, and would likely have more problems due to bearings wearing out quicker, etc.
He also says better to be over capacity than under capacity.

All replies appreciated.:thumbsup:

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #2  
You should be able to get a decent 18' low boy or car hauling trailer with two 3500 lb axles under it with 15 inch tires for between $1000-1200. This trailer empty will weigh between 1500-2000 lbs, this allows you to load an additional 5000-5500 lbs on the trailer.A 1/2 ton pickup will pull it fines.

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #3  
My 18' Car Hauler weight 1,250#. No matter what you do you are going to be overweight. According to the net your tractor weighs 3,836# without fluids. If you have your tires filled, a FEL, and anything on the 3 point you will be well over 2,000# past your tow capacity.

You really need more truck. How many times a year are you going to move it? How far? If under 5 miles its plain quicker to drive the tractor than to hitch up a trailer, load tractor, chain it down, unload on the other end, ect.

Get a good 1/2 ton truck with low gears and tow package first then the trailer. Until that time drive the tractor, have a friend move it, or use a wrecker service to move it. Around here you can get something moved 25 miles or so for about $75.

Chris

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #4  
A DK40 with loader and backhoe is right around 6,000 lbs so your already over your tow capacity even without a trailer, you'll be at about 7k to 7,500lbs. I'm not one to say the tow limit is the absolute max you should tow with a vehicle but a Toyota Forerunner is certainly not a vehicle I would trust over-loaded. A 1/2 ton or larger truck yes, but not a mid-sized SUV.

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #5  
This tractor is similar sized to my NH TC40D. My tractor is 3000lbs. I have filled tires; my book list 600lbs/tire. That puts me at 4200lbs. That puts me close to the limit of my 7000lb rated trailer(my registration list the trailer at 1600lbs).

I bought my trailer for my previous tractor, which was smaller and lighter. So far, I have towed it once to my parents. Loader off, mower in truck bed. Pain in the behind. Different trailer is out of the budget though.

Based on my numbers, you and I both need a heavier rated trailer. And you will be significantly over your tow rating for the Forerunner. That's not counting any of the cool implements listed in your sig-line.

You need a 10klbs trailer, and a vehicle to pull it. I need a 10klb trailer, and the money to buy it...

Last edited:
   / Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI
THANKS to ALL who replied so far. You've all been helpful in different ways. I am over capacity for sure, and do need a bigger vehicle with higher overall tow capacity, heavier suspension, etc. Would ideally like a Toy Tundra V8 with DIESEl, if they ever come out with one!?!:confused2:

I forgot about the loaded tires, and I do have the rears loaded :(

I would only use any trailer with the Forerunner if I could basically strip down the tractor, remove backhoe, remove bucket and any other shed-able weight.

Car trailers might work, less weight and less $$$, both of which work in my favor.

I don't have resources currently to spend on another truck and my primary reason to tow would be to go to dealer for service vs. paying him to come pick-up deliver at $60/hr.
Of course if I had a trailer I would find other things to do with it and the tractor.

RobertN,

Thanks for comment on my implements:)
I'm in process of acquiring a 36" wide 42" jaw opening Igland brand log grapple! Can't wait for it - check it out... http://www.treemansupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GR-20

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #7  
What motor in your 4 runner? IF you were to tow, I'd make sure your trailer has 2 brakes axles, a good controller, a breakaway kit and a weight distributing hitch.

If you have the 4 cyl, forget it. I thought some of the newer 4runners had a 7000 lb tow rating like the trucks when properly equipped?

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #8  
Coyote machine said:
... my primary reason to tow would be to go to dealer for service vs. paying him to come pick-up deliver at $60/hr.

You can pay for a lot of pick-up and delivery with the cost of the trailer. Plus the risk to you and other drivers for using an over-loaded rig. Just not worth it
Mike

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #9  
you can remove the FEL if transporting to a dealer also. this drops some weight. Im now in a similar quandary. I have a 7,500# rated flatbed trailer that used to transport my JD870 just fine.

Have it set up just the way i wanted it. Now i have the DK45 with loaded rear tires and front end loader.

In a pinch i could remove the loader and transport marginally safe, but not the ideal situation.
I am going to have to get a gooseneck trailer in the 12K range next year and sell my old one. Man the costs just keep going up and up. I have a F350 to pull it with.

/ Help Please: 5k# tow capacity- want to tow my DK-40 KIOTI #10  
First off it should not have to go to the dealer and if it does they can pick it up once a month for the next 5 years before you would be even.

Tractors get heavy quick. My little Jinma 284 in the avitiar is 5,600# as it sits with the wheel weights, loaded rears, 7' rear blade, and my 7' snow plow. It all adds up.

Lets be honest here, you do not need a trailer, you want a trailer. Thats fine but if you can not afford a proper tow vehicle right now save for it then once you have that in place get the trailer.

Don't mean to be harsh. I am the same way. 7 out of 10 things I buy I do not need, I just want them. Its a guy thing.:D

Chris