Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #41  
In your third picture it looks like you can see the high spots left over from prior bush hog. Usually the tires compress the grass, the hog does not cut as well there, then the grass stands/grows back up higher there.

At my last house I cut an area once that maxed the tractor--all four wheels in drive and slipping on dry gound. (I later filled and regraded the area!) The only way is to back up a steep hill. Do not drive forward up a steep hill. I also used to regularly cut an area of about 1.5 acres that I just backed up then moved to one side and drove forward down again. It was slow but actually plenty safe if not going sideways. I used a gear tractor and just didn't shift--no way too when that steep. I used the same speed up and down which was the reight speed for brush hogging anyway. HST is noce but in no way needed for hills. Gears have been doing it for years.

One of the more specialty tractors could be nice also. But a standard tractor with 3PT and PTO is a great deal. You can pick up tons of implements cheaply since they are not made specifically for one tractor but will fill fit anny with the same class hitch.

The goats would work well too. Get some fainting goats and yell real loud when they are on the hill and watch them fall and roll! Sorry, I had to say that.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #42  
woodlandfarms said:
The beauty of the PT above these other tractors is that they do much more than mow. You have access to a long list of attachments.... Nothing I love more than working on my steep slopes with my backhoe, loader or grapple... These other tractors are very cool (and probably a bit more comfortable) but the TSM Class of PT (1850) will do 45 degree slopes and I would guess something much much steeper...
Agree 100% from someone with a much smaller PT. I sold my little Kubota to replace it with a PT because of the need to work on slopes.

IMO, when it comes to maneuverability and speed of getting jobs done, a PT is to a conventional CUT/SCUT as a zero-turn mower is to a conventional lawn/garden tractor -- except (a) they'll handle just about as many attachments as the CUT/SCUT will, and some hydraulically driven ones that a CUT/SCUT cannot, and (b) they'll work on slopes that neither a zero-turn nor a lawn/garden (or CUT/SCUT) tractor can...

You can purchase an aftermarket 3-PT hitch adapter, or one to use skidsteer attachments -- then you'd also have the option of renting skidsteer hydraulically-driven attachments.

I think the TSMs will safely work on any slope that they simply don't slide off of...

You have to experience using a machine with an unobstructed view out the front of the attacment you're using to appreciate the difference...

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #43  
Problem with the PTs is bang for buck for me - those TSMs price around what a Kubota M59 TLB does (minus hoe). They'll go on slopes that would kill the kubota, but on anything the kubota can get to its stats are in another world.

At the right price I'd love one, they seem like neat machines.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #44  
Charlesaf3 said:
Problem with the PTs is bang for buck for me - those TSMs price around what a Kubota M59 TLB does (minus hoe). They'll go on slopes that would kill the kubota, but on anything the kubota can get to its stats are in another world.

At the right price I'd love one, they seem like neat machines.
I found a good deal on a used one -- I took advantage of the fact that their lack of "brand name recognition" hurts their resale value.

For example there's what appears to be a decent, used PT 1460 on eBay right now for about 1/2 the price of a new one...

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #45  
PT 1460 isn't a side slope model, though, right?

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #46  
Charlesaf3 said:
PT 1460 isn't a side slope model, though, right?
The 1460 is rated to only 30 degrees, I think, not to 45 degrees like the ones specifically classified as slope-mowers. Those TSMs have auto-levelling seats, special oiling systems, etc.

Mine is rated for 25 degrees, for example... How many CUTs/SCUTs will work on 25-30 degree slopes -- only the specialized ones like Antonio Carrera, etc. as far as I know...

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #47  
I'd say my 3030 on a 30 degree slope sideways is best described as the begining of an avalanche. But I can do up down on 30, though thats my limit and I'm nervous.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #48  
There is a nice 1850 for sale at the Power-Trac website. I think it is 18K or so with mower...

They are indeed good used machines. Very, very simple and for the most part the parts are off the shelf... I would really consider a used one as seriously as a new one..

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing.
While the PT looks really nice, It's quite a bit more than I can spend. I guess my first choice right now would be the JD 2320.

Anymore suggestions/recommendations?

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #50  
Don't forget Ag tires are higher and will make a tractor tippier.

Mike