Help selecting an L-series for haying

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
Hello, all. I'm in the market for a 45+ hp gear-drive tractor. So far, I've looked at the following: L4600; JD 5045e; Massey 1648; New Holland Workmaster 45; and Kioti DK45 & DK55.

I really liked the DK, but I'm concerned with resale - I don't have a lot of experience with haying and may find that I need to step up after a few years. The dealer is offering a really good deal on a DK55 (under $27k fully outfitted), which is tempting - but telling, too, as it is a left-over on his floorplan that he can't seem to move. I conclude that it bodes badly for me if I want to resell it. Also, the loader speed was surprisingly slow, even at higher rpms.

I didn't like the Massey or New Holland.

The JD is fine, except I'm not thrilled with the transmission. Nor the price (over $28k for the 5045e).

The L4600 seems too light. Plus, I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that makes loader operation with the frame-mounted joystick painful. I have asked about moving it (like they could do on the B3030s), but it seems like a limitation for me right out of the gate.

So... now I'm thinking along the lines of an L4740 or L5040. I'd load the tires and mount rear wheel weights as well as keep the loader on all of the time. I think that will push my weight over #6000.

My question is - why isn't this a popular model? I can't find much info on this site about either of these tractors. They are the so-called Grand Series, so I assume they're tyipcal in terms of Kubota quality. Am I to believe that people either buy the lower horsepower Grands and then step up to the next chassis size? Because there seems to be lots of info on those models here on tractorbynet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, I'd like to hear about any recent deals people have gotten so I can calculate where my money is best spent. Thanks.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #2  
A friend of mine bought a 4740 a couple of months ago, and really likes it. I think a lot of folks buy the lower horsepower Grand L's because of price, and perhaps just don't need the extra horsepower like you would for your haying operation. My friend did not "need" the 4740 extra horsepower but bought it anyway because he liked it. As for the Kioti having lower resale, I am not sure that is still a big concern. Kioti is rapidly becoming a mainstream brand.

James K0UA

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #3  
I have a L5740-3 Grand with the hydro tranny. (Which I believe to be the only tranny option on a Grand L, I could be mistaken.) FEL and my rear tires are loaded with RimGuard, adding 1300lbs ballast. Anyway, I have baled over 2500 square bales with it this year. Picked roughly 1/4 of them up with a bale sweep on the loader. (The rest the customers pick out of the field.) I've also loaded hundreds of round bales out on a bale hauler. I guess you could say I've got a little first hand knowledge of haying with the largest L.

With that said, I would not recommend going with anything thing smaller than the L5740. Even though a square baler doesn't need more than 35 hp to run, it takes a lot more power to get it down the road to the field. Especially if there are any hills to pull. Mine drops to 7-8mph on some hills here. I LOVE the Hydrostatic Plus tranny! You have way more control with the pedal than any manual tranny. It's super smooth. Makes baling nonuniform windrows a breeze. I also hay with a JD 6300 and JD 7410. Using them for raking and round baling respectively, there is a ton of clutch use for slowing down when necessary, making turns etc. I wish they made Hydros in bigger tractors. So you might go drive a HST Plus before you rule it out.

Lastly, if I haying was the main or only use for my tractor, I would step up to an M. More room, comfort, power etc. Unfortunately, snow removal is the main intended purpose for my L5740 and I have to be able to trailer it, loading and unloading 10-15 times a snow, and get into tight places. I specialize in getting the snow out of the tight spots out in the open where the big iron can get to it.

I love my L5740, but I will give you an honest, experienced evaluation on it if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

2012-06-13 20.18.47.jpg2012-06-13 20.18.15.jpg2012-06-13 20.28.55.jpg2012-06-13 20.29.04.jpg2012-06-13 20.34.45.jpg2012-06-13 20.36.30.jpg2012-06-13 20.18.21.jpg2012-06-10 17.34.49.jpg

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #4  
Check out an M5140 or M5640. Both have joysticks back at your hip, and a more physical tractor at about the same price point as many of these others.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #5  
I would look at the M5140 Kubota. It more closely compares with the JD 5045E. From what I have seen it is similarly priced to the ones you listed. Sorry to add to the confusion, but I think it would be a good fit for what you want to do.

I guess I was posting at the same time as the one above.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #6  
I use a 2008 Mahindra 5525 on my hayfield (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering I) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height). Bought it new for around $18K. I added three dealer installed rear hydraulic remotes ($700) and the skid-steer quick attach on the FEL (about $1K). It weighs in at 6500 lb or so with the FEL and loaded rear tires.

Good luck.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #7  
Not to divert the thread too much - but does anybody have any suggestions for references I could go to - to learn some of basics of haying?

I've seen some decent plots of land for sale recently and it's got me wondering whether they would make a good investment to use for something like a haying operation. I'd like to know what I would be getting myself into if I thought about doing something like that.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #8  
Not to divert the thread too much - but does anybody have any suggestions for references I could go to - to learn some of basics of haying?

I've seen some decent plots of land for sale recently and it's got me wondering whether they would make a good investment to use for something like a haying operation. I'd like to know what I would be getting myself into if I thought about doing something like that.

I've got a L5040 with the glide shift. I've not hayed with it cause we don't do hay these days here. I've just ran cutters and tillers with it and use it for loader work. I like the gears when your heading downhill. They hold the tractor back. With the hydro on the B3030 you'll have a tendance to go faster downhill. You need to decide if your going to square bale or round bale. What size round bale. The L series can handle the smallest round balers but I've never tried it. I really like my L5040. It has about 230 hours on it and not a single issue. Those hours are tough hours. Not to step on toes but I think one reason that they don't make larger hydro tractors is due to the issue of keeping the fluid cool with heavy lugging use all day. Horsepower is your friend. If you going to do squares get a used 2 wheel drive tractor above 50 HP, there are many around cheap. A Kubota M7040 is a sweet spot for a hay tractor.

Talk to folks that hay and ask questions. Take their answers with a grain of salt, but over time you'll get the idea of what you'll need.

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #9  
I have a L5740-3 Grand with the hydro tranny. (Which I believe to be the only tranny option on a Grand L, I could be mistaken.)

You can get a Grand L with a gear trans, just checked on that yesterday at the dealer. It will have a shuttle shift type thing, or glide shift, can't remember. Also the FEL controls by the seat are very nice!

Also like said, look at the M5140-5640 and maybe the MX. All great machines!!!

/ Help selecting an L-series for haying #10  
You can get a Grand L with a gear trans, just checked on that yesterday at the dealer. It will have a shuttle shift type thing, or glide shift, can't remember. Also the FEL controls by the seat are very nice!

Also like said, look at the M5140-5640 and maybe the MX. All great machines!!!

My bad you are correct, except on a 5240 and 5740. For some reason hydro is the only tranny option on those two. When I was looking I only considered the L5740.