Comparison Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #11  
I let my diesel warm up until the idle smooths out, about 1 - 2 minutes. Since you're keeping the rig in an insulated garage; don't get spooked by cold weather starting of a diesel. Besides, it will have glow plugs, or other heated assist, and you can always have a block heater installed.

Since you only have a 1/2 acre to mow, and I assume lots of obstacles, I'd go with AWS. I wish I had one.

Personally if I were to go gasser, I'd look for an X series with AWS and water cooling, power steering and hydraulic deck lift. I'm not an air-cooled fan; though I do have a L(emon)-130.

What I like best about the X7xx series is that they are shaft drive.

A 4100 CUT/SCUT is too big for your property in my opinion; but it will climb the hills.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #12  
Sounds like you have a traction problem vice a tranny problem. I would say what you need depends on your pocketbook or what is available used. X728 with 4wd should give you the traction and torque (shaft drive) that you need however a new one with a mowing deck is around $11600 and it is overkill for a small yard. A used 4wd tractor is more affordable and given the durability of JD heavy duty tractors you might be best finding one if it is available. If you can't afford either you will need to beef up your traction (agri tires) and/or go shaft drive on another brand. For about $4k you can get a good HD Cub Cadet with shaft drive. Not the crappy box store models but the HD 2000 series with shaft drive that you can only get from a dealer. Shaft drive will improve durability over the long term if you use it to pull loads and go up steep hills under load. I love JD but I could not afford it so I went with a HD Cub and don't regret it.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help
Ok,
First off I want to truly thank everyone for being so helpful. I have read through all of the posts and got something out of all of them.

I went to the JD Dealer and priced a X728, X748, 1023e, 1026r. I think most of these would be a good fit and according to the Deere dealer based on my situation they seemed to think any of them would work for me. As well I know some of you here have recommended these models, and I think any of them would work for me.

If in the future if I wanted to add a PTO and 3PT hitch to the 728 or 748, I would be almost at the price of a 1023 or 1026 (which comes with that stuff standard). Also the dealer did tell me that the 3PT hitch on the x7xx series was not a catergory 1 (I believe he said it was a category 0??if that makes sense) and most attachments would require a category 1, if I were to rent an attachment from a rental place in the future. Not sure what the difference is and it was not all that important because the price point between a 728/748 with the same features as a 1023/1026 was so close that I went with the 1023E.

I did not need the extra features of the 1026r or the few extra hp as the 23hp diesel in the 1023e will be plenty for what I need.I also was not concernced about the arm rests or lights as I would not be out too many late nights, I can also add alight kit to the 1023e later if need be. I just could not pass it up, looking at the 728/748 next to the 1023e it just made sense to go with the sub compact for the all around versatility and the very minimal price difference over a 728 or 748.

So I have placed an order for a 1023e with quick hitch and 54" front blade, and a 54" mower deck. Seeing as I don't have a huge yard but have some trees and mulch beds to mow around I think the smaller deck will suit my needs better. The 1023e is very agile and should be able to mow everything I need it to, plus do the grunt work around the yard. Snow removal and up steep slopes with cart should be a piece of cake. Plus I have some unfiinished yard projects, still need to put grass in the back 1/4 acre of yard, never did that since I finished building (still just a mowed down field). Now I can till it, power rake it, and plant grass.

I also have bunches of other ideas to put the 1023e to work and keep me on it. Snow removal in the neighboorhood would be one good use and could bring in some side $$. My wife was hoping that the 1023e would cut snow removal time in half over the walk behind snowblower,I am thinking it could take longer, I can't imagine I will want to stop playing in the snow;-)

I will post a few pics once I get it (couple weeks).
Thanks for the input everyone, even if I did not go with your suggestion I still took it into consideration and appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #14  
No loader?

How long is the wait?

Smart choice getting the 1023E over the 1026R. That convenience package is a waste of money if you ask me.

I won't ask how much...I'll let someone else do that :).

Rod
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #15  
Congratulations!! I look forward to pictures and a review of the new SCUT. I understand the choice over the X7xx family. I love my X740 but also have a CUT for the PTO and 3-point jobs.

Just for clarification: the X7xx models are available with either a cat "0" or a cat "1" 3-point hitch - same prices just depends which option you choose.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help
Th dealer by me has the 1023 in stock so there is no wait on that, they had 2 of them on the floor. The wait is for the mower deck, quick hitch and blade, they told me typically it is ten days but you know how that can go sometimes.
No loader yet. Just wanted to invest in the machine for now and get the blade because the price is relatively low for that. If I find more need for a loader in the future I can always get one later.

I will post some pics when I get it and definitely write a review after I have a chance to operate it for a little while. Thanks for the clarification on the 3 PT hitch, wasn't totally sure about that one.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #17  
The advantages of the X series is no roll bar to get in the way, and slightly shorter wheelbase. Plus the AWS is awesome when you have a lot manuever around. However, if you need the features of a real tractor, the 1000 series is a better choice.

You got a nice tractor that you are going to love. But, it won't take it but a minute to remove the snow.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #18  
ISo I have placed an order for a 1023e with quick hitch and 54" front blade, and a 54" mower deck. Seeing as I don't have a huge yard but have some trees and mulch beds to mow around I think the smaller deck will suit my needs better.

OK, I know this is counterintuitive; but a larger deck will give you a smaller uncut radius than a smaller deck. Look at the Deere specs for the "X" series tractors and you'll see the numbers and it will be clearer than I can put it here.

Of course a larger deck could be a problem in narrow areas.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #19  
The advantages of the X series is no roll bar to get in the way, and slightly shorter wheelbase. Plus the AWS is awesome when you have a lot manuever around. However, if you need the features of a real tractor, the 1000 series is a better choice.

You got a nice tractor that you are going to love. But, it won't take it but a minute to remove the snow.

I agree with Gittyup on the advantages of the x series with aws and no rollbar, really makes these small machines fit anywhere.

When you eliminate the aws it make the choices much harder to make and the 1000 series can be a better choice particularly if you have only one machine to do everything.

jdmark, congratulations on your new machine.:)

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor Please Help #20  
I got into this thread a little late. I patiently read every post before replying though. By the end of your first post I was ready to steer you toward the 1000 series or something equivalent. They are more tractor than lawn mower which opens possibilities for you down the road.

As mjncad mentioned, I would have recommended the 62" deck. Cuts a smaller circle and lets you mow along a ditch without putting your tires in it.

I've had diesel mowing tractors for ten years. I'll never go back to gas. Don't worry about warm up time either. I too park in a heated shop. I crank up, idle out the door and within a minute am pulling the deck switch and mowing. I mow three acres and can almost mow it three times on a six gallon tank of fuel.

I've had 4x4 mowing tractors for seven years. I'll never go back to 2wd either. I push snow without chains. I mow steep road banks with no stuck issues.

I'd also suggest filling your rear tires. It'll add a lot of stability for steep side slopes without harming the lawn. I filled mine with eleven gallons of fluid in each tire.

Enjoy your new tractor!!!