Help with 3 point fork design please

/ Help with 3 point fork design please #21  
In reference to the diagram, don't most tractors have a top link shorter than the lift arms when the implement hitch is vertical? This causes it to tilt up in back as it is raised.

Bruce

/ Help with 3 point fork design please #22  
In reference to the diagram, don't most tractors have a top link shorter than the lift arms when the implement hitch is vertical? This causes it to tilt up in back as it is raised.

Bruce

Most tractors have an adjustable TL that can be made anywhere from ~ 12" shorter than the lowers to about the same length.

And shorter or longer TL's can be purchased as well.

And even a few inches difference in lengths, the angle change is very minimal.

But getting the lower arms and TL parallel have the greatest impact.

/ Help with 3 point fork design please #23  
So, what causes the forks to remain level? Like I said, if it worked it would already be standard practice. It doesn't work.

I would guess you're thinking of 3PH implements where the distance between the top link connection point & the lift arm connection point is more than that distance at the tractor end, which is very common in most (all?) 3PH implements I've seen. This causes the top link to usually be angled upward, even when the lift arms are horizontal. It would also cause the implement to begin to angle upward as it is raised; In the pic I posted above, the trailing end of the carry all would end up going higher & higher compared to the front, so that anything on the carry all would want to slide toward the tractor. This geometric configuration is desirable for towing implements, especially longer implements, where you want the trailing end as high as possible so it's less likely to hit the ground (such as a bush hog).

Here's the picture of it:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 402
   / Help with 3 point fork design please #24  
The spreadsheet wouldn't work for me. So, I spent a few minutes and modeled it up in 3D while working. I can't wrap my head around why, but it clearly works. There appears to be some tension/compression on the top link as you raise or lower it, but not enough to worry about. I'm glad it's Friday, because I'm confused. :D