Help with 3120 tilt steering

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #1  

dieselram

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 3120 TLBM
My 3120 has been giving me fits about the steering wheel staying in place. I set the wheel where I want and a few turns of the wheel later it drops down a notch. I leave it alone and soon enough it drops another notch. It wont stay where I put it. The set-up on my old 4300 was way better, it never moved. Is there a fix for this? Common problem? Its driving me nuts! Tilt steering really sucks!:mad:

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #2  
I have a 2005 jd 4520 and took it in to the jd dealer monday to have the tilt steering
wheel fixed. it got to where it would not even lock at all and just floated up and down.
the aggravating things about getting it fixed is they have changed the whole steering assembly
so can't just purchase parts to fix . have to buy a redesigned steering colomn. cost $ 248.00
for the new assembly and about 100.00 labor to install. total 350.00 approximately.
but got to have it fixed. dealer is also going to give me a quote on a new 4520 powerreverser
loader, r-4 tires adj. links, cx loader. brother bought a new one last year .paid $32,000 for
4520 w/hydro. dealer said they have really gone up since 2005. but what hasn't

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #3  
My 4120 was doing the exact same thing. I remember reading a thread awhile back here about grinding the teeth until they were straight again. But personally i put a couple really strong springs in the tilt mechanism to hold it in place really well. Only downside is the mechanism is harder to lift but its def no biggie. No problems afterwards. Maybe you could start out with that and it may keep you from buying the new steering column. Just be careful when you get off & on the tractor to not to use the steering wheel when you get on or off. I think that caused part of my problem. Good luck hopefully it will be an easy fix for ya.

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering
Where did you get the springs? Maybe that would work. How do you get it apart?

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #5  
I run a small engine repair business so luckily i had a couple springs on hand. Might try a local hardware store, you just need a couple short but strong ones. My tilt steering has the rubber cover over the tilt mechanism, just lift that out of the cowling and replace your springs, reinstall cover then your good to go. If yours has the new plastic covers, just pop those off....should be just a couple bolts. Let me know how it works for you.

Mine has the rubber boot around the "neck" of it. Just pull that up out of the plastic dash piece?

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #7  
Hi All, Dieselram if u have a look or search this thread "4120 Tilt Steering Issue" u will find some good advice on solutions - my JD 3120 is at 950hrs now, been "fixed" twice, still not 100%, one day when i have time i'll regrove as others have done in the other thread. cheers OG

Does the 4000 series have the same steering column?

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #9  
If not the same very, very similar (as per diag other thread) - same repair either stronger springs or re-grove . personally i'd redo springs first. cheers OG

/ Help with 3120 tilt steering #10  
Yes, the rubber boot wil put right out of the column. Just pull up on it and there is enough room to change the springs.