Box Scraper Help with Box Blade and Pad

/ Help with Box Blade and Pad #1  

slharman1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 HST
Hi guys I hope everyone is doing well.

My grapple build came out fantastic and a shout out to snowback and all that helped with the design decisions.

I have another issue, I have to level and pack a pad for a 30x40 steel building.
I have cleared the top soil and now I am trying to level it and compact it.

I am using my 5'-0" Box Blade and my Mahindra 2538 with FEL

The ground slopes from one corner down 6" to the other three corners - with a couple of humps along the way.

I would really like the elevation of the pad to be at the high point in my plan.

My question is this:
Do I need to break up all the soil and level it then add back my fill to get the grade i want and compact it all the same.
Or can I leave the high point and bring my fill up to level the pad and then build my form on top?

Also, being that I am adding so much fill, do i need to level a larger area before building my form on top?

This is my first time building a pad this size and could sure use the help of all the experts on here.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

/ Help with Box Blade and Pad #2  
Hi guys I hope everyone is doing well.

My grapple build came out fantastic and a shout out to snowback and all that helped with the design decisions.

I have another issue, I have to level and pack a pad for a 30x40 steel building.
I have cleared the top soil and now I am trying to level it and compact it.

I am using my 5'-0" Box Blade and my Mahindra 2538 with FEL

The ground slopes from one corner down 6" to the other three corners - with a couple of humps along the way.

I would really like the elevation of the pad to be at the high point in my plan.

My question is this:
Do I need to break up all the soil and level it then add back my fill to get the grade i want and compact it all the same.
Or can I leave the high point and bring my fill up to level the pad and then build my form on top?

Also, being that I am adding so much fill, do i need to level a larger area before building my form on top?

This is my first time building a pad this size and could sure use the help of all the experts on here.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I would do as follows

1. Fill a bunch of feed sacks with road base and build a perimeter wall 28' x 38 feet and make sure that the top of this wall is level. This will give you a 12" beam around the perimeter.
2. Fill inside the this wall with road base.
3. Build some forms with plywood/2x4s and make them at least 4" above the top of the road base
4. Add rebar to the beams and throughout the slab. If you want to be safe dig down 6" around the perimeter to prevent any potential movement but I doubt this is necessary as it sounds like your site is fairly level.
5. Find some finishers and have them do the finish work. I hired some in south texas for < $1000. Ask your concrete provider if you don't know any.