Help with Cat D2

/ Help with Cat D2 #1  

PitbullMidwest

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 Kubota L2900GST
My BIL has asked me to post for help with his Cat D2. Be patient with me as I'm only relaying the questions and answers as they present themselves.

The D2 starts and runs well, it responds to steering controls for about 5-10 minutes and then as it warms up will only turn in one direction (left I think). Then it stops responding to steering input altogether.

He was told that this was caused by water in the hydraulic fluid and has completely drained the system and refilled with the same result.

If anyone has any suggestions or additional questions, please let me hear them and I will relay them to him and post back with the results.

Thanks

/ Help with Cat D2 #2  
Did he change filters and clean screens when oil was changed?

/ Help with Cat D2 #3  
When it stops responding to steering input, what exactly happens? does the engine bog down at all when pulling back a steering lever or pressing the steering foot pedal? if it's bogging down, then one or both steering clutches are not disengaging. If nothing happens when a steering lever is pulled or foot pedal is pushed, then the steering breaks are out of adjustment or worn past their limits. When it stops responding to steering input, have him pull back both steering levers (or push in both steering pedals) the dozer should roll to a stop as both steering clutches are disengaged, then let out one lever, then pull both back again and let out the other lever. Sounds like the breaks are not stopping the tracks, do the breaks work at all? have him mash on the breaks while in motion to see if the engine feels the load.

Larry

/ Help with Cat D2
BTDT, Yes, the filters were changed and screens cleaned when the oil was changed

GuglioLS, thanks for all the questions, I'll have him perform each and post back. That being said, it could be awhile before he gets to it so please be patient if I don't respond right away.

For what it's worth, my BIL works for a guy that wrote some computer program for NASA back in the '70s that continues to make him very wealthy. He's retired and basically spends his time landscaping his property. My BIL is a "jack of all trades" and is employed as much for companionship as for any other reason. Good work if you can get it, right? :)

Well his employer collects, ready for this? bulldozers. He has about 20 of them ranging from a homebuilt MagnaTrac to a Cat D6. While on a cruise in Alaska, he found a WWII era army bulldozer that he bought and had shipped back home to Iowa as a souvenir of his trip.

Anyway, he brought the D2 out to our farm after buying it without really running it or doing anything to it. I think he actually is hoping they have to split it as a winter learning project.

I'll post back as info becomes available.