Help With Decision

/ Help With Decision #11  
Watch craigslist for an older simple large tractor for your property, get one of those old shipping containers for a lockable space (as suggested; that way you have a weather resistant space and a place for your bbq) at the remote property. You shouldn't have to pay much (if any more) for the tractor than for that Kubota. Make it something not too worn out and large enough to use (plus, gas so it is easy to work on yourself -- presuming you are handy). Watch for used lawn 'tractors' (really, they are just large riding mowers, not tractors in anyone but the marketers eyes).

After a couple of years you will have learned what you really want in a tractor and should be able to get back what you have in yours.

That's what I have done, and now my Ol' Yeller is ready for someone else. But it was paid for the day I bought it. Old Case VAC's, Ford 8/9/2N's, a slew of newer models (Case 400-600, IH H/M/etc, JD whatever's). All make good starters. Just don't expect too much, and be willing to do basic maintenance. You'd be surprised what they will do. Decide the implements you want to use (blade, bush hog, etc). Then find the right one.

/ Help With Decision #12  
Egon said:
Lordy; my toy Kubota B7100 has a mere 2600 hours on it and I think it is almost broke in.:D

I was gonna comment on that as well.. but did see that he specifically mentioned 'that' machine... and since 'that' machine does look like it has been run hard and put away wet quite a few times.. I am inclined to agree.

I also agrree with you.. that a well maintained machine with a few thousand hours can still be quite nice. Like your 7100 probably is. You probably give it plenty of maintenance and fix problems as needed.. etc.

soundguy

/ Help With Decision
Thank you everyone, for the input. I think this Kubota was worked fairly hard, and I'm doubting it was maintained properly...that would violate this particular person's pattern...he's in the mechanic's "pay me later" category.:rolleyes: I was skeptical of the "deal", and that's why I posted here. I'm not handy...so I didn't want to buy a money pit (I have a horse, so that area is adequately covered ;)).

I think we'll be buying something new, or at least in better shape, and a rider for the lawn. Once we get the house built on the new place, I plan to have a lawn that can be mowed with a push mower in about 30 minutes. :D We'll have a better idea after the hydro cut is done, we're on the schedule for this week!
woo.gif

On "eyesore acres". I have to thank my neighbors for the name. We'd had a tough time settling on a name for the place. We had a cable across the driveway that we installed (and share with the neigbors...who contributed NOTHING
icon_rolleyes.gif
), to keep people from getting down in there and dumping trash. Never had a moment's worry about the cable, until they began construction on their home. Suddenly, every time we went down there, the cable was down...they even went so far as to take the posts out of the ground, when they tired of removing the cable for us. We kept moving the cable further and further down the driveway, and they kept taking it down. We finally confronted them about it, and the wife told us she was "worried" that the cable was an eyesore. Thus the name! I'm working on a concept for a giant sign to install so they can see it when they drive in. She'll be so proud that we used her idea!
lachtot.gif

/ Help With Decision #14  
Now your talkin'

soundguy

/ Help With Decision #15  
If in doubt about the tractor that is not fully functional forget it.:D

/ Help With Decision #16  
Alright, i am naive and will be the first to admit it, so, get that out of the way.

What is a hydro cut for clearing property?

/ Help With Decision
Here is a link to the website of the company that we're using:

ML Hydrocut Home

Be sure to check out the before and after photos. It's an alternative to push and burn. It doesn't remove the topsoil, like traditional grading does. We wanted to go this route, because the property is (approximately) a 12 year old cutover of virgin hardwoods. The topsoil is quite good, but what is beneath it is not, so we wanted to try to preserve as much topsoil as possible. I think if you search "hydro axe" on this site, you can find some video. I'll try to get some if possible.