Help with glo plugs! MT372

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #21  
I have a new PTO conversion box that bolts to the back of a Satoh Beaver tractor and converts to standard 540 PTO for sale. Also, 1 set of Beaver decals and 1 set of Bison decals. I have 1 Beaver injection pump but it is dirty and maybe used. Is anyone interested?

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #22  
nice looking tractor.sounds like you may have the switch wired wrong. it could also be that you have a bad harness.when you turn the switch to glow position do you get 12v at the switch terminal that goes to the glow indicator? if not you have to see which terminal is putting out 12v when you are in the glow position.then you wire that switch terminal to the glow indicator.the other side of the glow indicator should go to the glow plugs.the main feed to the switch should be coming from the the starter terminal where the heavy battery wire is hooked up.also check your battery ground and your harness ground.

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372
Mit, I have checked that several times and I am getting 12v on both glow output wires from the switch when in the preheat position but the indicator is not lighting up and the plugs are not getting hot.
If I run 12 directly to the plugs they get hot but not through the switch. I have kind of put it off now as it is warn and the tractor starts, but will get back into it after I get my woodshed built.
Too many irons in the fire now.

thanks,
Bill

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #24  
ok good.where did you connect the ground while testing?try this when you have time: use the alternator frame as ground for your meter.then test the voltage at the top of the glow plug with the switch in the glow position.you should get about 12v.if not check at glow indicator output.then at glow indicator input. voltages should be about 12v.then disconnect the glow indicator and check the resistance. use the Rx1 scale.you should read about 1 to 3 ohms.if you do not got this reading check the connections at where the glow wire meets the binding post.there could be corrosion or paint on the binding post.clean with sand paper and reconnect. i will try to attach diagram.
good luck

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 903
I looked at the diagram and my switch is not wired that way. I have two post on the back for glow plugs. One side goes to the input side of the indicator and the other side comes back to other post on switch and another wire goes from there to the glow plugs. This was the way it was wired previously and worked fine.

I will keep you up to date on what I find out when I get back into it. I also have a current draw somewhere that is running my battery down now. I have to find that also.

thanks,
Bill

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #26  
My suggestion would be to disconnect the wires from the switch that goes to the glow indicator and the glow plugs. connect a volt meter to one of the glow terminals on the switch and check for 12v with switch in glow position.then check the other terminal. it is very possible that the solution would be to flip flop the wires at the switch. let us know.

I did that and I am getting 12v on both terminals on the back of the switch in the preheat position.

I am going to try and get some time to look into it one of these days. I may even use another battery and see it that is the problem. I have a brand new battery on it now but you never know.

thanks,
Bill

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #28  
ok dude here is the million dollar question.if you are getting 12v on both switch terminals with no wires on them then how will the glow indicator work?you have to have a grounding path for this thing to work.the switch may have to tested and rewired.you have to test it in the glow position.the on position,off position and the start position. make up a chart of all the terminals and how they read in these positions.then you will figure out how to put back the wires.or you can get the color coded wiring diagram for that tractor from Valley Power. good luck

/ Help with glo plugs! MT372 #29  
well did you get it to work?all i think you have to do is switch the wires at the switch.one terminal would hot at heat and one at start.

Not yet, It starts easily in warm weather so I haven't had time to work on it.
trying to get some work done on the house before it gets into the 90's here. I can work on the tractor in an a/c garage this summer.

I will keep everyone updated.

Bill