Oil & Fuel Help with JD 855

/ Help with JD 855 #11  
The dipstick on the transaxle that beenthere described is the dipstick to use to check the hydraulic oil level. The 855 uses a shared reservoir for the hydraulic implement pump and the transmission. Other than the engine oil dipstick, the only other oil level to check would be the front axle if it's a 4WD model. The recommended hydraulic oil is Lo-Viscosity Hy-Gaurd. Hold on to your shorts if you go to buy some... it's not cheap. I just priced a 5 gallon pail a couple weeks ago and it was about $100. The reservoir capacity is 4.5 gallons.

/ Help with JD 855 #12  
just picked up a JD 855 today. The aforementioned dipstick was showing empty. so I guess i have to figure out where to by lo viscosity hy-guard and add it through the dip stick hole? also want to change oil and whatever else I can do myself, and I don't have a manual yet. any tips on something simple like an oil change? first time tractor owner.

/ Help with JD 855 #13  
JD will have all the fluids you need for it, if there is a dealer near you. There should be another port with a screw cap on it to fill the hydraulic fluid. I am pretty sure it doesn't go in through where the dipstick is at. Maybe someone else here can say for sure where it's located at, or your dealer can tell you.

I've always used the Shell Rotella T 15-w40 engine oil in my tractors. Nothing wrong with the JD brand, of course, just my preference since the Shell is more readily available. Heck, even Walmart and Kmart carry it. Try to find some JD oil there lol!

As for changing the engine oil, there is no magic to it. Just get yourself a new oil filter (this will probably have to come from JD) and enough oil. According to tractordata (see link below) the 3cyl Yanmar engine in the 855 requires 3.8 quarts of engine oil, so I would go ahead and buy a gallon container of new oil and one extra quart to keep it topped off with.

Let the engine idle a few minutes to warm up the oil, then shut it off. Pull the plug and drain the old oil, and remove the old filter. Reinstall the drain plug after the old oil has drained out.

Get the new filter and fill it about half way full of new oil. Take your finger and dip it in some oil and lube the rubber seal on the top of the filter.

Spin the new filter on, but try not to spill any. If your filter is mounted horizontal, I would place a big rag underneath it to catch whatever does spill. This is when you HATE filters that are mounted horizontal!

Refill engine with 3.7 quarts new oil (allowing for the little bit you already poured into the new oil filter). Crank it up and look for any leaks. If no leaks, you are done! Here are most of the 85 spec's:

TractorData.com John Deere 855 tractor information

/ Help with JD 855 #14  
Thank you. gotta find the place to add the hydraulic fluid. all foreign to me because it is first tractor. guy gave me tons of extra filters, but just discovered they are all for a different tractor! bummer! I must have 10 different filters for oil, and gas, and they are all worthless to me. well gotta find a store near me to buy hydraulic fluid now. wish me luck.

/ Help with JD 855 #15  
Thank you. gotta find the place to add the hydraulic fluid. all foreign to me because it is first tractor. guy gave me tons of extra filters, but just discovered they are all for a different tractor! bummer! I must have 10 different filters for oil, and gas, and they are all worthless to me. well gotta find a store near me to buy hydraulic fluid now. wish me luck.

If it's the same as a 955, it's at the back, directly in the centre and under the seat area. I had a cab, so I can't say exactly what to look for, but that's the area you'll find it in.

/ Help with JD 855 #16  
Circled in yellow

855_hyd_fill.JPG

/ Help with JD 855 #18  
to fill the oil.

/ Help with JD 855 #19  
You can ignore the lower one on the side. It does the same thing as the one on the top.

/ Help with JD 855 #20  
Thanks for the useful comment. Now that I'm under there, does the fuel filter housing just unscrew? Am I not doing something there? It's a real PITA to get off!