Help with OLD truck trans fill.

/ Help with OLD truck trans fill. #1  

slan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 HST
I have an old 1974? Chev C65 with a 366bb and a 4 speed trans. Question are, What model transmission would normally be in it and how can I check the oil level in it?

It has a leak in the tail shaft as you would expect so I am loosing oil but where do I check the level or add more?

Is there a fill plug and overflow somewhere.

Spring is coming and just making my maint list.

Thanks guys.

/ Help with OLD truck trans fill. #2  
The Muncie SM465 was standard option behind the 366. I've included a picture I found on the net, to help identify if this is what you have.

The fill/check plug is located on the left (drivers side), and to the right of the PTO cover, in the corner of the vert/horiz. ribs in the case, located on the flat boss area. I was always taught if you can reach the oil in the trans, with the first joint on your index finger, it was close enough... Use your own judgement...

If memory serves me right, a 5/8" open end wrench fits the plug.

The trans hold 8 pints.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• Muncie sm465_.jpg
    Muncie sm465_.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 146
   / Help with OLD truck trans fill. #3  
I have the same (similar) truck and have the book on it as well. The books are available on e-bay, pretty reasonable, I paid too much for mine. $35

If I can answer any specific questions I will but DJ54 hit this one already.

My funny story with mine is when the auto parts guy holds up a distributor and says this fit's every Chevrolet out there, big block, or small block, unless you have something really off the wall like a 366..................................

FWIW I now have a petronix and rebuilt distributor :)

/ Help with OLD truck trans fill. #4  
On my 79 that I had I would take the shift lever boot off.
Press down on shifter rotate the stamped sheet metal ball a little and pull shifter out pour oil in shift tower.

If its leaking that bad you can replace seal on transmission with out too much effort.

If shaft is scored use a speedy sleeve and the appropriate seal to fix it seal will be oersize to the stock one.

tom

/ Help with OLD truck trans fill.
Wow, thanks guys.
I havent been back for a while.
Thanks for the info....